what's wrong with my setup?

Participant count
  • Participants list

berretta96
10+ year member

I have a custom 12 from splaudio. It is a dvc 2 ohm. It is in 1.5 box tuned @ 34 hz. I am powering it with a vvme d1500 amp. Power wire is 4 ga with stock electrical. The sub sounds good until i turn it up too much and it clacks like it is bottoming out. The amp is @ 1/4 gain, set on a dd1. The suspension was built for 1k and the vc for 1.5k

Today it started smoking so I turned it off right away. I tested it after 20 minutes and it sounds ok but wtf is going on here? Btw... Until i turn it up to this level it pounds and sq is decent.

Car is a stock electrical 00 civic.

clipping… what are your setting on the HU and what are your other settings on the amp? Also that amp is crap and is prob sending the sub clipped power once you turn it up that high. Get a good amp, why would you use such a crap amp on a nice woofer like that?

Yea it is just very bad power that is most likely clipped and it is killing the sub. I would pull the amp right away and not risk anymore damage to the sub. You can get a great used 1k-1500 amp on here, caco.com, etc.. You will be very impressed when you put real clean power to that sub

Is that needed even if gain was set on a dd1 ?
My bad, I must of skipped over that part in the first post. Well an air leak could cause the bottoming out, if thats what it really is, but it wouldn't explain the sub smoking. The only way it's going to smoke is if you overpower it, which means either the gain was not actually set correctly using the DD-1, or the coil being used can't actually take the power being provided by the amp (which I doubt, SPLaudio seems to offer quality parts from everyones reviews and experiences). I would try setting the gain the way described in the link I posted. See if that fixes the issue. Maybe the DD-1 isn't properly working anymore? Did you use it properly, such as the instructions in this link? Maybe you set the gain using a -3dB reference tone, and the media you are playing is actually +3dB and thus causing the amp to clip even though you set it correctly according to the DD-1.

http://www.wccaraudio.com/media/pdfs/Distortion_Detector_DD-1_Ver._1.pdf

Update... I will ohm test it today but i think 1 coil must be burnt because the sub is not loud anymore. Last night was the fitst time i turned it up past 1/4 volume since the smoke.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.