Subwoofer cancellation ?

'Hurt' anything, not likely - so long as your amp is able to handle whatever impedance load it would put you at.

Your probably not going to get much performance added from that fifth woofer (firing up) versus the four firing forward though.

Is there a reason you'd want to use all 5?

Ok this might be a very stupid question...
I have 5 12 in subwoofers and 58ins across the front of my box i cant put all 5 on the front...

I was thinking of firing 4 forward and 1 up would this hurt anything ?
Welcome back

You can fit them, you could have three facing forward with the other two angled. It could look pretty nice, impedance would be my concern also!

You will be fine to put one facing up. It won't look very good but you will not have major phase issues and it could possibly smooth out response.

Not worried about load 5 single 4 ohm alpines just wanting to see what I can get done with some cheapies only giving like 300 a piece if that from a mb quarts 1500.1 just was worried about placement but I can go wider if I want... Going in a dodge ram 1500 quad cab with no rear seats...

Passive radiators will at best resonate 270 degress out of phase of the woofers (at tuning), reinforcing the woofer output (like a port).

Out of phase woofers will fire 180 degress out of phase regardless of frequency, causing cancellation across the spectrum.

Some good info on PR's over here:

http://www.aespeakers.com/PRFAQ.php

I thought the out of phase sub will reinforce the sound waves being produced by the other sub? kind of like a passive radiator???

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.