What makes a subwoofer bottom out?

Bigmann6374
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Moon, PA
Okay serious question here. I have a 15" Skar audio zvx-15 dual 2 subwoofer and I put it on 2 soundstream 2500s strapped to make 3400 watts rms. I started to test everything and kept hearing the **** sub bottom out at 30 to 40 hz and I'm tuned at 37! Now I understand that this is a 1500 rms woofer but I see SA-12s and 15s not bottom out on equal power. Why would a manufacturer make the sub hit bottom before reaching the limitations of the surround and I mean waaaayyy before. It really pisses me off because I have 5k on tap and countless hrs of work in this to power a 500 dollar paper weight. I had to drop back down to one rubicon 2500 and it seems thats all it will take period without mechanical failure.

Give me an option here, does the basket have a play in this? Does there need to be a spacer? Is the coil too long? What causes this?

Thanks!

Playing below tuning causes the sub to lose control. Lower tuning or reduce power
I'm asking physically what makes a sub bottom out.... Not from the power not from tuning... I just want what on the subwoofer makes a sub bottom out.

Playing below tuning causes the sub to lose control. Lower tuning or reduce power
^^Yup this, since your tuned to 37hz playing down to 30hz is gonna make the sub lose control pretty easily. Especially if you don't have your subsonic filter tuned appropriately. My box for 2 SA-8v2's is tuned to about 35hz and playing rack city I get a crazy amount of excursion on the low note (29hz) because its starting to get a little farther below the box tuning than the sub likes. It doesn't bottom out but I'm sure if I tried to push it a little further it probably would. You need to build a more efficient and lower tuned box to be able to handle those really low notes better with that kind of power.

I'm asking physically what makes a sub bottom out.... Not from the power not from tuning... I just want what on the subwoofer makes a sub bottom out.
Either the spider/coil glue joint hitting the top plate, or the bottom of the coil hitting the back plate.
Speaker-Cross-Section2.jpg

Also, if you don't believe you're reaching the full stroke potential before you're hearing noises, it could be coil rub and not coil bottoming. Coil rub should be a warranty issue.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Maybe he listens to more rock/metal than rap? Doesn't a higher tuning benefit those styles of music more than a low tuning?
The Price is Right losing horn - YouTube

Maybe he listens to more rock/metal than rap? Doesn't a higher tuning benefit those styles of music more than a low tuning?
I have ability of changing ports out I made it aero ported. I have to make another 6" aero port and tune it to upper 20s like 27 for daily. But I compete in spl comps.

I have ability of changing ports out I made it aero ported. I have to make another 6" aero port and tune it to upper 20s like 27 for daily. But I compete in spl comps.
How does that tuning sound anyways? Is it only good for rap/dubstep/bass tests? How would that low of tuning sound with rock/metal?

Also, if you don't believe you're reaching the full stroke potential before you're hearing noises, it could be coil rub and not coil bottoming. Coil rub should be a warranty issue. 

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

The Price is Right losing horn - YouTube
See I have had coil rub and this is not that. The sub clings sounding like a hammer hitting a metal plate. The sub has so much more potential but is limited by poor engineering which really pisses me off!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.