Stock amplified speakers cutting out in Volvo s80

Participant count
  • Participant list

caseyarndt
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
West MI
So my friend has a 2002 Volvo s80 with an aftermarket HU but is still using the OEM amplifier supposedly 4x50 rms part number is 9472301 for reference if needed 98 02 S80 Factory Amp Amplifier 9472301 Under Passenger Seat Radio Stereo | eBay

It worked fine after the deck was installed for about 3 years

but recently it totally cuts out, the Head unit shuts off, and has to be reset manually when the volume is turned up more than 1/3 of the way to max.

All the speakers put out sound until the point of shutting off and do not sound blown.

What could be causing this?

bad HU?

stock amplifier going out?

thanks for any input you can give

The most likely cause is the deck (because it is the simplest scenario).

In some cases the factory amp can also give feed back and shut down the deck.

No matter the case the best bet would be to replace both the deck and factory amp with better equipment.. some of the aftermarket replacements will cost nearly as much as replacing the stock equipment.

You would of course want to replace the speakers in that scenario as well.

The factory stock decks aren't worth getting inspected fixed or otherwise.

You could probably wire a pioneer 80 to the stock speakers if you had a suitable electrical diagram for the car as well... simplest solution.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.