Votes: 5 55.6%
  • silk

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

TDot
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Bronx
originally bought focal 165ca1 and immediately fell in love with the highs...TO ME...they sounded amazing...first time really listening to an aftermarket system. They were bright, detailed, and had a beautiful stereo effect. I had to upgrade to manage the Watts of the amp better, so I got the hertz hsk 165. Although the mid sounds better to me, I am very unhappy with the tweeters. They lack everything I liked with the focal tweeters. I'm thinking this is because the focal is metal and the hertz is silk tweeters. The only thing I like with them is if I move around in the seat the frequency response doesn't change as much as it did with the focals...I'm assuming because of the principle design/shape of the focal tweeter.

My question, just out of quriosity, how many of you prefer the metal vs silk tweeters or vice versa?

also I'm thinking of replacing the hertz tweeters and I'm looking at the following:

Cadence cvlt10 $90

Cadence cvlt35n $50

Lanzar optitw $46

cdt Drt-25t $150

Memphis 15-mc1am $140

Rockford t2t-s $136

Any opinions or suggestions...1" metallic material, 3khz to 20khz, handle at least 90 wrms. (unless someone can show me specific eq curves that would simulate a metallic material without introducing the harshness and sibilance I've been getting in trying to recreate it)

Your tweeter should be less an issue of material than it is about the install and location. There are just as many silk domes as there are metal domes that sound harsh no matter how or where you mount them. Just play around with the positioning of the Hertz tweets and you should see a noticeable improvement.

I used to be a strictly soft dome guy and wouldn't come within miles of a metal dome tweeter, even if you paid me. But after having fallen in love with the titanium domes of my MS comps (which are EXTREMELY forgiving of subpar installs), threw the whole "had to be textile" thing out the window.

I believe that you may be describing a frequency response characteristic more than a driver diaphragm material. That being said, there are badly behaved domes within many materials, but metal ones (mainly aluminum) are responsible for some pretty horrid harmonic distortion problems that are actually outside of the pass band but have a detrimental effect on overall performance when driven hard. Newer designs have offered some solutions to these problems but the effects can still be seen in various plots. Metal domes can sound quite soft and textiles can be harsh, contrary to popular belief.

As neo stated, don't get locked in to the idea that you must have one material over the other. Just too many things to factor in. Is it chambered, does it have ferro-fluid (can mask detail), does it have a convex or concave diaphragm, is the surround the same piece as the diaphragm or is it a different material, how wide a bandwidth, how hard will I be driving it, what does the frequency response profile look like, what does the waterfall plot look like, and so on and so on.

Check out drivers that aren't offered by car audio vendors, you will come out ahead in the end. If not only in your pocket...

Bohlender Graebener Neo3-PDRW Planar Tweeter w/Back Cup 264-735

Vifa OX20SC00-04 3/4" Fabric Dome Tweeter 264-1002

Vifa NE25VTT-04 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter 264-1032

Vifa OT19NC00-04 3/4" Fabric Dome Tweeter 4 Ohm 264-1122

Vifa NE19VTS-04 3/4" Silk Dome Tweeter 264-1006

Morel CAT 408 1-1/8" Compact Soft Dome Tweeter 277-086

Vifa NE19VTA-04 3/4" Aluminum Silk Surround Tweeter 264-1010

Untitled

I believe that you may be describing a frequency response characteristic more than a driver diaphragm material. That being said, there are badly behaved domes within many materials, but metal ones (mainly aluminum) are responsible for some pretty horrid harmonic distortion problems that are actually outside of the pass band but have a detrimental effect on overall performance when driven hard. Newer designs have offered some solutions to these problems but the effects can still be seen in various plots. Metal domes can sound quite soft and textiles can be harsh, contrary to popular belief.
As neo stated, don't get locked in to the idea that you must have one material over the other. Just too many things to factor in. Is it chambered, does it have ferro-fluid (can mask detail), does it have a convex or concave diaphragm, is the surround the same piece as the diaphragm or is it a different material, how wide a bandwidth, how hard will I be driving it, what does the frequency response profile look like, what does the waterfall plot look like, and so on and so on.

Check out drivers that aren't offered by car audio vendors, you will come out ahead in the end. If not only in your pocket...

Bohlender Graebener Neo3-PDRW Planar Tweeter w/Back Cup 264-735

Vifa OX20SC00-04 3/4" Fabric Dome Tweeter 264-1002

Vifa NE25VTT-04 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter 264-1032

Vifa OT19NC00-04 3/4" Fabric Dome Tweeter 4 Ohm 264-1122

Vifa NE19VTS-04 3/4" Silk Dome Tweeter 264-1006

Morel CAT 408 1-1/8" Compact Soft Dome Tweeter 277-086

Vifa NE19VTA-04 3/4" Aluminum Silk Surround Tweeter 264-1010

Untitled
That Neo3 is pure secks, man. Same with the Vifa NE25...

Couldn't agree more. It's truly hard to beat that Neo3 for all around performance. Addicting.
Makes me want to play around with their large-format planars. Too bad they're somewhere around 70 pounds and 500 bucks. But would make a great line array across the dashboard.

Anywho, back on topic!

x2 on checking PE, Madisound, and a few other places. You will get much better for your $$$.

My personal fave is the tweeter out of the Alpine PRO set from a few years ago. Ring radiator supposedly made by scanspeak. xt25 small format is #2 on my list...

thanks,

Location has nothing to do with it. Both tweeters were in the exact same place with two very clearly different sounds. Could be the frequency design of the tweets, but when I try to recreate the sound through eq I get sibilance and harshness from track to track. Relocation and Positioning is not an option for me.

It could be simple frequency response, but that can be attributed to the speaker design being textile or metal. the hertz doesn't sound harsh, or bad per say, I just don't like it in comparison to the focals and I believe a large component to this is the material. They sound soft and a little "mushy"...but relatively clear. The focals sounded bright without being harsh.

Can you explain what you said and how these things affect sound and what I should look for

" Is it chambered, does it have ferro-fluid (can mask detail), does it have a convex or concave diaphragm, is the surround the same piece as the diaphragm or is it a different material, how wide a bandwidth, how hard will I be driving it, what does the frequency response profile look like, what does the waterfall plot look like"

I tried to give these tweets a chance, but i have to find something else. I wish focal made tweets that could handle more rms. I'll check out those links.

Can you explain what you said and how these things affect sound and what I should look for" Is it chambered, does it have ferro-fluid (can mask detail), does it have a convex or concave diaphragm, is the surround the same piece as the diaphragm or is it a different material, how wide a bandwidth, how hard will I be driving it, what does the frequency response profile look like, what does the waterfall plot look like"

I wish focal made tweets that could handle more rms.
There's a lot to cover with that request, and waaaaay too much typing involved for me, lol. Lots of info on the web so I'll let you do the footwork on that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...