Sign in to follow this  
Only The Best

8 inch sub choice with TMD < 4.7 INCHES

i want the best 8 inch sub i can get that has a mounting depth of less than or equal to 4.7-4.8 inches... its going in a sealed box with around 1ft^3 air space... i currently have a kicker cvt... it just isnt doin it for me.

budget =

interested in buying! or trading!

Hybrid Audio Imagine I8SW has just about 4 inch depth. I have no idea how well suited this is for your box. They cost a lot more, but I bet you could find a used or open box item within your budget requirements.

Another good sub is Alpine SWR 8 inch. These are considered very good value, and quite overbuilt for the money. (often $100 online). My understanding is that your box is too big. The recommended sealed box size is about 0.3cu ft. You could run them in 1cu ft box, but the power handling at the lowest end may be reduced, at least without a subsonic filter. These really do shine in a ported box. Alpine makes a ported enclosure for SWR 8 (called SBR) that takes about 0.7 cu ft of space overall.

i want the best 8 inch sub i can get that has a mounting depth of less than or equal to 4.7-4.8 inches... its going in a sealed box with around 1ft^3 air space... i currently have a kicker cvt... it just isnt doin it for me.

budget =

interested in buying! or trading!

I have just the one for ya... Custom built MA with a spare recone...

e168d7e2.jpg

Hybrid Audio Imagine I8SW has just about 4 inch depth. I have no idea how well suited this is for your box. They cost a lot more, but I bet you could find a used or open box item within your budget requirements.

Another good sub is Alpine SWR 8 inch. These are considered very good value, and quite overbuilt for the money. (often $100 online). My understanding is that your box is too big. The recommended sealed box size is about 0.3cu ft. You could run them in 1cu ft box, but the power handling at the lowest end may be reduced, at least without a subsonic filter. These really do shine in a ported box. Alpine makes a ported enclosure for SWR 8 (called SBR) that takes about 0.7 cu ft of space overall.

Why do u say overbuilt? What do u mean... And this box is a fiberglass box that is molded to the roof of my truck... The airspace with the sub in it will probably be around .5

BTW, is there a reason you won't go with a thin 10 inch subwoofer? Alpine Type-R T10 thins are supposed to be quite good. Supposedly, Alpine's best SQ sub. Mounting depth: 3.5 inches. They do cost more.

How much and what te rating?

How about 150 shipped with the spare recone so you can make a pair if you want? In that big of a box 400 or is about all Id give it...

Why do u say overbuilt? What do u mean... And this box is a fiberglass box that is molded to the roof of my truck... The airspace with the sub in it will probably be around .5

My understanding from a post by Alpine engineer on DIYMA, the R8 is not simply an R10 that was shrunk. One interesting thing about the R8 is ultra low inductance and the flexibility it has for working with a wide variety of box designs. Low and symmetric inductance profile is believed to be the key to having a good transient response and reducing certain types of harmonic distortion.

See Jim Walter's original post:

Alpine SWR-823D / 843D 8" Subwoofers - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

BTW, is there a reason you won't go with a thin 10 inch subwoofer? Alpine Type-R T10 thins are supposed to be quite good. Supposedly, Alpine's best SQ sub. Mounting depth: 3.5 inches. They do cost more.

the box was already made for an 8 inch sub... i couldnt make the hole bigger for a 10 inch without screwing the whole thing up... thats why i need an 8 inch... and the SA 8 is too deep

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this