Which tweets?

Lowflyin
10+ year member

Sit on my face, B*tch
FU JOSE, PA
I am getting a zapco ref360.4 and 6.5s from the focal ps165 set and need tweets. I was looking at the rainbow cal 20 or 25s and wondering others opinions on what to get. This will be ran active with an alpine 9887..

I think you mean the Vifa XT25 ring radiator tweeters. The most famous version is the bigger Vifa XT25, but they're harder to fit in stock locations. John Krutke describes them as "Smoothest and most extended response curve in the group, and resulting CSD is excellent." These are the tweeters that Alpine SPX-PRO tweeters are based on, and they also have a good reputation. The XT25SC50 is a smaller version of XT25. Decent, but not as good as the XT25. Another good tweeter is Dayton Reference. They can be high passed as low as something like 1800Hz in home audio speakers and be able to keep up with dual Dayton RS midbasses each in MTM speaker setups. Unfortunately, again, they're kind of big for stock locations in a car. Image Dynamics XS28 tweeters are also supposed to be pretty good, and they come with own passive crossover.

I think you mean the Vifa XT25 ring radiator tweeters. The most famous version is the bigger Vifa XT25, but they're harder to fit in stock locations. John Krutke describes them as "Smoothest and most extended response curve in the group, and resulting CSD is excellent." These are the tweeters that Alpine SPX-PRO tweeters are based on, and they also have a good reputation. The XT25SC50 is a smaller version of XT25. Decent, but not as good as the XT25. Another good tweeter is Dayton Reference. They can be high passed as low as something like 1800Hz in home audio speakers and be able to keep up with dual Dayton RS midbasses each in MTM speaker setups. Unfortunately, again, they're kind of big for stock locations in a car. Image Dynamics XS28 tweeters are also supposed to be pretty good, and they come with own passive crossover.
Yea it was the Vifa Xt25 radiators..

I'm not exactly sure where I am mounting yet because stock location is in the dash facing towards the windshield.. I will need to test diff locations to see what I like the best...

I think I may grab a pair of the smaller Vifa xt25s and these Vifa NE25VTS-04 1" Silk Dome Tweeter 264-1034

The bigger ones are too deep for me (that's what she said) unless they went in the stock dash location but I feel like im not going to get the results I want there..

small format xt25's sound VERY good, but need to be on-axis or output drops off like crazy. Reflecting off the windshield might be ok, never tried them that way.

Large format version would let you cross them lower, but depending upon your mids that might not be an issue.

I have a set of the Alpine PRO17 tweeters I'm not using if you're interesed. Small format ring radiator said to be made my scanspeak. They were all the rage on diyma a few years ago.

small format xt25's sound VERY good, but need to be on-axis or output drops off like crazy. Reflecting off the windshield might be ok, never tried them that way.
Large format version would let you cross them lower, but depending upon your mids that might not be an issue.

I have a set of the Alpine PRO17 tweeters I'm not using if you're interesed. Small format ring radiator said to be made my scanspeak. They were all the rage on diyma a few years ago.
Do they like on axis also?

I run these right now, and they are one of the nicest sounding tweeters that I've heard. Vifa NE25VTS-04 1" Silk Dome Tweeter 264-1034
I have a pair of these I just got sitting in my office waiting for my new build. I'm excited to try them, I have seen what you wrote in other places as well.

OP, I was just searching for tweets not long ago, and ended up with the above. Where are you crossing? That's probably the biggest factor when choosing tweeters, surprised no one has asked that yet. Or maybe I just missed it? Either way, the Vifa ring tweeters (XT25), the Vifa NE25's, or the Dayton RS28F are all hard to beat from what I have seen. And actually, all those can be crossed pretty low, so you shouldn't have to worry.

Do they like on axis also?
Yes being a ring radiator tweet they need to be as close to on axis as possible. I had them glassed in the sail panels: pass side firing toward driver's seat, driver's side firing towards pass seat. They worked very well that way....

It's 6.5s from the focal ps165 set. I'm getting them off West.

I may be better off for now with something that does well off axis.. Unless any of those above will easily fit into pods..

20130305_163219_zps75460343.jpg

20130305_163202_zps90825938.jpg

20130305_163151_zpsff2bd138.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Lowflyin

10+ year member
Sit on my face, B*tch
Lowflyin
FU JOSE, PA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date