Component Speaker Comparisons

Knowmadic
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Well, I thought I reached the end of my build when I sealed my doors/deadened doors/added EQ but I was sadly mistaken. So I have Alpine SPR60C speakers up front and I have officially concluded they produce no bass, even when they are in a deadened/sealed door. Like literally none, it's almost sickening. I've spent hours trying to play with the EQ trying to make at least some bass come out of these speakers but it just doesn't happen.. If I didn't have a sub I'd probably have gone to a junk yard by now and found speakers that give me better bass response then these.. things.. They have some uhh.. nice clarity at least? That's about it though.. Anyways.

I'm looking at some new components, kind of on the cheap $150-$200 budget. MAYBE $250. Right now I'm looking at JBL MS-62C vs CDT HD 61's. I'd like all of your opinions on these speakers and maybe some alternatives. Looking for SQ, and don't listen to make music extremely loud, more of a moderate listener. Thanks.

TL;DR =

JBL MS-62C vs CDT HD 61 (Or any you might mention)

Budget = $150-$200

SQ/SPL = SQ

Amp = Alpine PDX F4

Get those JBL's. Best set I've heard for the price. Blown away with how lifelike kickdrums and cymbals sound.

I usually don't trust all the hype I see online about things, but I really enjoyed the sound of the Power series speakers, so I took a leap of faith and am glad I did.

why not just upgrade the woofers? Parts Express and Madisound have a large selection in your budget. Match the impedance and you can use the same crossover.
I just looked on Parts Express and all I found in the 6 1/2" section was some lovely Pyles.. Madisound has a wide variety but I don't know whats good/bad on there.

Found my own answer....
If you sell your current comps can you add that to your budget?
Selling them is factored into the budget, what would you have recommended though?

what is HPF on HU/amp set to? Polarity reversed on mids?
I have the HPF on the headunit off and the HPF on the amp set to 120. Even with the HPF off on the amp no difference in bass in made. I just tried reversing them and no difference was made at all. Seriously doubting I have two defective woofers though.

why not just upgrade the woofers? Parts Express and Madisound have a large selection in your budget. Match the impedance and you can use the same crossover.
This may not be possible with the SPR-60C. The external crossover box is only for the tweeter. The woofer crossover parts are soldered on the back of woofer. I'd suggest replacing the whole set. My understanding is that the tweeters are not the strong point of it.

Well, I thought I reached the end of my build when I sealed my doors/deadened doors/added EQ but I was sadly mistaken. So I have Alpine SPR60C speakers up front and I have officially concluded they produce no bass, even when they are in a deadened/sealed door. Like literally none, it's almost sickening.
I suspect that you have phase interaction issues. These were said to have good bass. Either your woofers are out of phase with each other, or there is a weird interaction with the subwoofer. Also, if you use the amplifier's high pass crossover, it may be possible that they are crossed to high because a lot of amplifiers don't mark their crossover knob well.

I have the HPF on the headunit off and the HPF on the amp set to 120. Even with the HPF off on the amp no difference in bass in made. I just tried reversing them and no difference was made at all. Seriously doubting I have two defective woofers though.
120 is way too high. I don't find anything above 80Hz satisfying. Your subwoofer should also be tuned to help out. Most speakers have decaying frequency response below 100Hz. Of course, if you have a weird phase interaction issue, that could also explain it. Check the polarity of all speakers, and also check the phase of the subwoofer.

I don't like the idea of using DIY drivers in a passive setup. For one, they may not match the sensitivity of your old woofer. The other issue, as I mentioned is that the woofer crossover parts are on the back of the SPR woofer.

120 is way too high. I don't find anything above 80Hz satisfying. Your subwoofer should also be tuned to help out. Most speakers have decaying frequency response below 100Hz. Of course, if you have a weird phase interaction issue, that could also explain it. Check the polarity of all speakers, and also check the phase of the subwoofer.
I don't like the idea of using DIY drivers in a passive setup. For one, they may not match the sensitivity of your old woofer. The other issue, as I mentioned is that the woofer crossover parts are on the back of the SPR woofer.

I'll try turning it down and see if there is a difference. With the subwoofer it sounds alright but without the subwoofer it's a complete no go. Polarity is right on all the wires, just checked a little while ago.

I just looked on Parts Express and all I found in the 6 1/2" section was some lovely Pyles.. Madisound has a wide variety but I don't know whats good/bad on there.
ignore the car audio speaker sections. look at the general speaker section.

PE also sells crossover parts so you can put a cap on the Alpine tweeters.

or check out what ge_off_me has available.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.