New to Home Audio

Boomsday
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
My House
I just have a few quick questions.

First Im going to buy a receiver and I notice alot of them have HDMI inputs now, how much does that really help???

I can build my own towers, how are dayton audio components?

HDMI actually carries audio and video at a higher rate than your rca and optical cables. so instead of audio and video cables its just one. if you have a smart TV (TV's that can go online) you need to get a receiver with ARC. good place to get receiver is accesories4less, price wise i would go with Onkyo, Denon and yamaha.

let me know if you need help

HDMI actually carries audio and video at a higher rate than your rca and optical cables. so instead of audio and video cables its just one. if you have a smart TV (TV's that can go online) you need to get a receiver with ARC. good place to get receiver is accesories4less, price wise i would go with Onkyo, Denon and yamaha.
let me know if you need help

Tried to pm you, but ur box is full //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

[quote name='Boomsday']Tried to pm you, but ur box is full :([/QUOTE]

I am going to be running dayton components soon. They are in my sig. @keep_hope_alive ; He uses some daytons and loves them.

The HDMI is for audio. It allows you to play 256kbps. Optical goes up to 192kbps.
Pioneer, Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, Denon, Sony, and Onkyo all make receivers.

I love this site AVS Forum and did research there before making my receiver purchase 6 months ago. I would stick with a receiver that is 3d capable if you plan to watch 3d and try and find a receiver that has maybe at least 3 hdmi. In my opinion, this should give you a little "future proof" specs for the receiver. Just my $.02

I bought a Denon to replace my Onkyo. I love Onkyo still, but found a deal on the Denon on Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons & Discounts on Laptops, Computers, LCDs, TVs, Dell, HP, Apple, Amazon It's nice to also have receiver that connects to the internet, because we listen to Pandora radio quite a bit at the house.

If 3d capability and hdmi is not someting you are interested in, I have an Onkyo older receiver I'd sell cheap or trade for a battery //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I love this site AVS Forum and did research there before making my receiver purchase 6 months ago. I would stick with a receiver that is 3d capable if you plan to watch 3d and try and find a receiver that has maybe at least 3 hdmi. In my opinion, this should give you a little "future proof" specs for the receiver. Just my $.02I bought a Denon to replace my Onkyo. I love Onkyo still, but found a deal on the Denon on Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons & Discounts on Laptops, Computers, LCDs, TVs, Dell, HP, Apple, Amazon It's nice to also have receiver that connects to the internet, because we listen to Pandora radio quite a bit at the house.

If 3d capability and hdmi is not someting you are interested in, I have an Onkyo older receiver I'd sell cheap or trade for a battery //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

most of them will do pass thru on 3d now adays the one you really want to watch out for is to make sure it can do arc since most new tv's are smart tv now. your tv becomes a source now instead of just output for video

I'm no expert but I've got a pair of towers running (in each) 1 dayton tweet, two dayton mids (I believe they're 3.5 or 4") and one 10" dayton sub with an Onkyo receiver. The center is an off the shefl klipsch center speaker. I'm not running any surrounds right now out of laziness. I ended up designing the crossovers myself in using a crossover design program where you can input the actual parameters of the speakers and see the graphed response. Parts express sells crossover components, I just mounted mine to a couple of small pieces of plywood.

I prefer Onkyo receivers (in the sub-$1000 range). Excellent build quality, great sound, and great features.

I think Dayton makes a quality driver that is a nice choice for anyone.

HDMI switching is nice if you have a cheaper TV with limited HDMI inputs. HDMI switching also simplifies remote control operation. with a nice TV, actually using receiver HDMI switching should be avoided - we want to minimize cabling and connections and conversions.

HDMI switching is a standard feature with new receivers and it's fairly cheap (compared to component video switching of old).

I prefer Onkyo receivers (in the sub-$1000 range). Excellent build quality, great sound, and great features.
I think Dayton makes a quality driver that is a nice choice for anyone.

HDMI switching is nice if you have a cheaper TV with limited HDMI inputs. HDMI switching also simplifies remote control operation. with a nice TV, actually using receiver HDMI switching should be avoided - we want to minimize cabling and connections and conversions.

HDMI switching is a standard feature with new receivers and it's fairly cheap (compared to component video switching of old).
What conversion would there be? Minimizing cabling may have been a factor in the old analog days but HDMI is digital and not susceptible to signal loss and the receiver just passes the video signal through untouched...

look at this $160

Onkyo TX-NR414 5.1 Home Theaterl 3-D Ready Network A/V Receiver | Accessories4less

main stuff

Special Features

6in/1out HDMI Support for 3D Video and Audio Return Channel

Network Capability Delivers Internet Radio and Network Streaming

Picture-in-Picture Input Source Preview with InstaPrevue™ Technology

Direct Digital Connection of iPod/iPhone via Front-Panel USB Port

Onkyo Remote App for iPod/iPhone

Convenient Overlaid On-Screen Display via HDMI

Optional iPod Dock / HDradio module via proprietary U.Port

Audyssey 2EQ w/ Dynamic EQ

DOLBY Decoder True HD, DD Plus

DTS Decoder DTS-HD Master Audio

HDMI Version V1.4a (supports 3D video and Audio Return Channel)

I got a Sony 5.1 receiver off Craigslist for cheap (60 bucks). It's huge. 110 per channel. It's right before HDMI came out but still a nice receiver. I pretty much put an entire surround system together for around 300 bucks off Craigslist. Lol! Got 2 older 10" DCM front's, 2 Yamaha bookshelf for rears, a cerwin vega center channel and I bought a 12" Dayton sub from Partsexpress when they were on sale for 100 bucks shipped. Bought a Vizio Bluray from a pawnshop for 40 bucks. Home audio loses a lot of value used for some reason. Getting things extremely cheap has become my life's work....

That refurb Onkyo above^^^ looks like a great deal!

look at this $160
Onkyo TX-NR414 5.1 Home Theaterl 3-D Ready Network A/V Receiver | Accessories4less

main stuff

Special Features

6in/1out HDMI Support for 3D Video and Audio Return Channel

Network Capability Delivers Internet Radio and Network Streaming

Picture-in-Picture Input Source Preview with InstaPrevue™ Technology

Direct Digital Connection of iPod/iPhone via Front-Panel USB Port

Onkyo Remote App for iPod/iPhone

Convenient Overlaid On-Screen Display via HDMI

Optional iPod Dock / HDradio module via proprietary U.Port

Audyssey 2EQ w/ Dynamic EQ

DOLBY Decoder True HD, DD Plus

DTS Decoder DTS-HD Master Audio

HDMI Version V1.4a (supports 3D video and Audio Return Channel)
I got a Sony 5.1 receiver off Craigslist for cheap (60 bucks). It's huge. 110 per channel. It's right before HDMI came out but still a nice receiver. I pretty much put an entire surround system together for around 300 bucks off Craigslist. Lol! Got 2 older 10" DCM front's, 2 Yamaha bookshelf for rears, a cerwin vega center channel and I bought a 12" Dayton sub from Partsexpress when they were on sale for 100 bucks shipped. Bought a Vizio Bluray from a pawnshop for 40 bucks. Home audio loses a lot of value used for some reason. Getting things extremely cheap has become my life's work....
That refurb Onkyo above^^^ looks like a great deal!
Ok I will go with that, probably gonna order when I get off of work

Now the towers, would they be just like car audio comps, meaning i need to find one with a crossover network and wire them in parallel or series to get the desired impedance

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.