Custom build - expert advice needed.

veedubtek
10+ year member

Building a 1981 VW Scirocco from nothing, complete ground up rotisserie restoration. Just about ready to start wiring, so I need to get the audio sorted. Not competition level, but I'm hunting for great sound quality. Majority of my music is going to be streaming, which obviously isn't the best for quality, but I know a good system can do it enough justice to make me happy (I'm perfectly content with the Bang & Olufsen system in my Audi).

I guess what I'm looking for are recommendations on:

Head unit. Single din, great quality, good pre-out voltages, A2DP a must.

Front speaker selection and placement. I have a Focal 165KR2 component set which I thought would be perfect in the front doors, or maybe the rear, but I'm open to suggestions and not locked into this particular set...just picked up a great deal on them about a year ago and couldn't pass them up. Don't love the door idea, but not sure I have the room for kick panel enclosures.

Rears. Components? Coax? Midrange drivers? Location? Not sure what's best.

Sub. I'm thinking a single JL10W3 or equivalent, maybe 2? Gonna be a false floor of sorts with a sealed box(es) for the sub built in, which will also hide the amp(s) and vehicle battery.

Amplifier(s). 1 4 channel and 1 mono? 1 all inclusive amp?

Don't really want to add any signal processors/equalizers/capacitors/line drivers/etc...trying to be as minimalistic as possible, while still maintaining a good sound. I need to at least order the RCA's and speaker wire this week so I can include it in the harness I'm building for the car. (speaking of - 12ga for speakers? Or is 14/16 sufficient?)

Thanks in advance,

What is your budget and type of music you listen to? I think 14 ga speaker wire is fine seeing the car is relatively small. Remember to get your amp power and ground wires too. With your battery in the back 4 ga would be sufficient.

Thanks for the reply.

Probably should've mentioned that. I really listen to everything, but I'd say metal most of the time, with a good bit of old school hip hop.

Budget...eh. I've tried not to really budget much with this build. I'll well over 20K into it so far, and it's about half way done. Realistically, I'd say $1000-$1500 on the stereo. I'd be happy with less, but won't complain with more. I plan on driving all over the country to shows, and I'm very passionate about my music, so I'm not gonna skimp out on it. I'd attach a pic, but it appears I need more posts first.

Thanks again!

ok look at the pioneer 80 prs 3 way active with time alignment ,some dls or phd mids and tweets for the front doors off of a dls reference 4 channel amp .6.5 mids in the rear deck off deck power .a good 4 gauge ofc amp kit with some nice audiophile rca's ,then a dls reference matching mono block amp , 500 - 700 watts rms and your sub.

Are you looking for a touchscreen deck or no? I'm guessing your looking more for sq than spl?
Nah, gotta be single din. And yes, definitely SQ build.

ok look at the pioneer 80 prs 3 way active with time alignment ,some dls or phd mids and tweets for the front doors off of a dls reference 4 channel amp .6.5 mids in the rear deck off deck power .a good 4 gauge ofc amp kit with some nice audiophile rca's ,then a dls reference matching mono block amp , 500 - 700 watts rms and your sub.
Whoa, that HU sounds perfect, thanks! Never heard of DLS, I've been out of the game for awhile apparently. You saying don't run the rear 6.5's off of the amp?

Will be Focal 165KR2's work just as well in the front? And what about the rear 6.5 mids? Quarts? DLS?

Thanks so much! I just to be HUGE into SPL back in the day....way back when PPI held the record with 48? 10" flat piston drivers at 164.9...can't even imagine what it's at now... I was rockin 4 KC15's in a VW golf at 149.1, so that probably tells ya how long it's been since I've done this, hah!

What it's all going in:

287.jpg

What it's all going in:
287.jpg
I love scirocco's. What motor are you going with? G60? VR6? 1.8?

I love the color.

FYI. I have the Pioneer 80PRS HU. Great head unit. Tons of features and control. Even displays your car's voltage level.

I am guessing you came here from vwvortex because there audio section is pretty weak.

I love scirocco's. What motor are you going with? G60? VR6? 1.8?I love the color.

FYI. I have the Pioneer 80PRS HU. Great head unit. Tons of features and control. Even displays your car's voltage level.

I am guessing you came here from vwvortex because there audio section is pretty weak.
2.0T FSI from a 2008 GTI //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

That's Viper green from the S3 in europe - $1000/gallon //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif Shaved bay, those wheel arches are from a mk2 GTI, custom fuel door (s1 never had one), etc...2 years in the making so far.

And yeah, vortex audio forum is wack.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Tdi would be bad *** but i'm guessing 1.8 or vr6
lol, I have another 81 scirocco with an AHU TDI //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

2.0T FSI from a 2008 GTI //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif
That's Viper green from the S3 in europe - $1000/gallon //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif Shaved bay, those wheel arches are from a mk2 GTI, custom fuel door (s1 never had one), etc...2 years in the making so far.

And yeah, vortex audio forum is wack.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

lol, I have another 81 scirocco with an AHU TDI //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
$1000 a gallon...DAMN

When I had my bmw painted. I went with mercedes polar metallic silver 2008. I order transtar and some another brand from the UK. I don't remember how much it was exactly. But I think it was the same as yours.

How did you put the wheel arches from an mk2 GTI onto that car? what are custom fuel door?

Yeah. I have tried helping people out on the vortex audio section. But it is a lost cause.

You should go with a different sub stage than JL. Send a PM to keep_hope_alive. He is this forums SQ GURU. He can really show you some nice SQ brands.

Any reason why you chose that motor? Just curious.

Nah, gotta be single din. And yes, definitely SQ build.

Whoa, that HU sounds perfect, thanks! Never heard of DLS, I've been out of the game for awhile apparently. You saying don't run the rear 6.5's off of the amp?

Will be Focal 165KR2's work just as well in the front? And what about the rear 6.5 mids? Quarts? DLS?

Thanks so much! I just to be HUGE into SPL back in the day....way back when PPI held the record with 48? 10" flat piston drivers at 164.9...can't even imagine what it's at now... I was rockin 4 KC15's in a VW golf at 149.1, so that probably tells ya how long it's been since I've done this, hah!
Just do Mids in the rear you can use your focals if you like as they will be fine. Dls is a nice sq company right up there with focal and other high end companies mb quartz isn't as good as they used to be I can help

With pricing if you need. Just send me a pm

$1000 a gallon...DAMNWhen I had my bmw painted. I went with mercedes polar metallic silver 2008. I order transtar and some another brand from the UK. I don't remember how much it was exactly. But I think it was the same as yours.

How did you put the wheel arches from an mk2 GTI onto that car? what are custom fuel door?

Yeah. I have tried helping people out on the vortex audio section. But it is a lost cause.

You should go with a different sub stage than JL. Send a PM to keep_hope_alive. He is this forums SQ GURU. He can really show you some nice SQ brands.

Any reason why you chose that motor? Just curious.
LOL, yeah...8 exotic pearls in this paint, it's nuts. I'm basically just taking elements from the new scirocco that we don't get, and implementing them into mine. The paint, engine, etc...I've owned and built several mk5's, so I've got a soft spot for this engine anyway. I also worked for VW for 14 years fixing these dam things. This engine with just a k04 and fuel pump and some uni software is gonna be around 300hp in a 2100lb car...and the way I built the transmission, it'll cruise 70mph at 2300rpm's all day long.

We cut out my arches (which barely flare out at all on a mk1), and cut out the same from a mk2 GTI (much wider), and welded them in. Alot easier to say than do obviously...and they look like they belong there. We probably spent 40 hours alone getting them on there and making them look legit. and mk1 rocco didn't have a fuel door, just an exposed cap. Again, just cut a fuel door and surrounding metal out of a mk2 jetta, and grafted it in.

Thanks again, I'll definitely shoot him a pm. I'm not tied to JL at all...I just happen to have one out of my old R32. I'd be just as happy tossing it in my TDI wagon and something works better for this project.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.