About to build a ported box for an Orion H2 15.2...Aero Port???'s

Participant count
  • Participant list

wlmrs
10+ year member

Realm Of Excursion
Minnesota
Just wanted some opinions on what size port to use to get the most output out of this sub.I'm shooting for 3.3 cu.ft. net @ 33hz. after all displacements.I don't know whether to go with two 4" flared or one 6"flared.Also do you think I'd get more output with sub forward port forward or sub forward port to side?

I have experience with this sub and am actually using it to this day. Mine is powered by an Orion 2500 mono amp. From my experience both these ports are too large. The reason i believe is the sub has a high qts which means it has a weak magnet for a ported box. This doesn't mean it doesn't perform well in a ported. It actually is very loud in a ported box. It is very very important for the ported box to be exactly right for the sub if you want to power it up to its full potential. The port tunning keeps the woofer under control which is important with high power other wise the sub can over excurt if its playing too far below the port tunning. If you build your box with larger ports for this sub it also won't reach its max spl. My box is also 3.3 to include speaker displacement and port displacement. This size box should have a port that is 5 inches inside round that is 19 in. long or a square or rectangle with same surface area as the round. Example 4.43x4.43x19 long. Again this port size is very important for high power for this sub. It is also important with this box to run a sub sonic filter at around 25Hz. Below 25 Hz in this box the sub will start to over excurt with high power. But if you have the tunning adjustability to boost the bass at port tunning (33Hz) this thing will get loud and sound pretty good. The box you are building is for sound quality not spl so don't give it more than 1500-2000 watts rms. As far as box placement you will have to experiment in your particular vehicle. In my vehicle i think it sounds better forward. When i turn it backwards the trunk rattles way too loud. Ps if you want it to handle higher power you need to build a smaller box with a different port or a small sealed. Hope this helps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.