Obsidian power handling ?

600-800 clamped is about all I would give them. They are not high power handling subs, they're made to get loud/sound good of lower power levels.

I had the pleasure of reconing 10 18's last year. Set up was being pushed near the limit powerwise and dude played some clipped to death song, unwound coils on all of them....

600-800 clamped is about all I would give them. They are not high power handling subs, they're made to get loud/sound good of lower power levels.
I had the pleasure of reconing 10 18's last year. Set up was being pushed near the limit powerwise and dude played some clipped to death song, unwound coils on all of them....
This^. Stick with 600-800 watts. They are designed to use the power effeciently rather than soak up huge amounts of power. They CAN handle a bit over rated power, but that doesn't mean you need to push it.

Alright haha do you know a genereal number? like 800 or 1000 watt?
i've heard of people giving 1000 watts to a single 12 daily... but then again idk how long that sub will last him. i would only do about 800 or 900 though, but yeah depends on the application

I have run Obsidian and I am going back to Obsidian. My recommendation is 600 watts daily and up to 1200 watts for short burst. This was on the Version 1. The voice coils would get warm very quickly over 600 watts rms daily. The new Version 2 has better cooling so I could definitely see them handling 800 watts daily and up to 1500 watts short burst.

i've heard of people giving 1000 watts to a single 12 daily... but then again idk how long that sub will last him. i would only do about 800 or 900 though, but yeah depends on the application
alright thanks! do you think one obsidian 12 on 800 watts will be as loud as an alpine type x 10" ? if both are tuned to around 32hz ported?

I wouldn't Gove it more than 800 either...

Is it 1000 watt amp, or is it 1000 clamped watts? Huge difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.