Overpowering Rockford Sub?

Participant count
  • Participant list

tanpatnode
10+ year member

I have a RF T0D215 so the two ohm 15" and I wanted to know if there is a general amount I can run it over the RMS ornor not to run it over RMS at all. Its 800w RMS and I have a 1200 watt amp. Its currenty set up for one ohm. I don't really know how to judge the wattage its getting out of the amp either. Is 50% on the level knob 600w? Is there anyway to know? If anyone is familiar with this particular sub give me your thoughts on what you run!

Thanks guys

no, the gain knob does not indicate how much power you are putting out. set gains properly by ear or with a dmm at least to prevent clipping. I would stay near the rated power range and not go over too much on that sub just to be safe.

Is 50% on the level knob 600w? Is there anyway to know?
There is no way to know without DMM. I suggest you buy a cheap DMM and read the DMM tutorial with some amendments: 1) normal music does not reach 0dB level, so it's wasteful to use a 0dB test tone. I'd recommend at least -5dB. 2) Investigate what's the subwoofer level setting on the head unit that corresponds to head unit's rated output voltage. Some people toss the idea that you need to max the subwoofer level to get the rated voltage, but that's not true with many head units. E.g. on kenwoods 0dB is the correct level.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.