Sign in to follow this  
duckfart

Advice on HU power 6x9

Have some crappy oem 6x9 on my car. I'm in the market for a basic 6x9 for the rear. THey will be power by stock HU . I hAVE $100 Budget to work with. I'm not looking for anything mindblowing, just some decent bass and sq.

System stolen on 10/14/09:crying:

Your stock HU has no power. 6x9 are for midbass.

All day I'm clippin'

voltage be dippin'

I don't give a damn,

cause my trunk always hittin'!

creating a proper sound wave. Step one, turn it up until clipping. Step two, done.

Synthesis_square.gif

Honestly, if I wanted to replace rear speakers using stock headunit power i'd get something

Edited by Sleeklsc

Ref's:1. Midwestcustoms 1.5. Desertheat 2. Mjbailey 3. Terryracing86 4. Sickmint79 5. Untouchable11 6. mattj 7. Ssweet96 8. Kool9accord 9.Kristinspapi10. Kmhogan224 11. Alpine3612 -x3- 12. Vectork39 13. Livinlife 14.Chriscivic 15. Violentraptor 16. Ricky616 17. Bassaddictj 18.orioles26 19.Khail19 20. jak3th3snak311 21. Myjaja 22. Springy101 x2 23. Ali1 24. Privatepastry 25. Plus about 10+ more..

Ref's:1. Midwestcustoms 1.5. Desertheat 2. Mjbailey 3. Terryracing86 4. Sickmint79 5. Untouchable11 6. mattj 7. Ssweet96 8. Kool9accord 9.Kristinspapi10. Kmhogan224 11. Alpine3612 -x3- 12. Vectork39 13. Livinlife 14.Chriscivic 15. Violentraptor 16. Ricky616 17. Bassaddictj 18.orioles26 19.Khail19 20. jak3th3snak311 21. Myjaja 22. Springy101 x2 23. Ali1 24. Privatepastry 25. Plus about 10+ more..

JBL GTO938 6" x 9" 3-Way Grand Touring Coaxial Car Speakers

Pioneer TS-D6902R (TSD6902R) 6" x 9" 2-way D Coaxial Car Speakers

Precision Power PPI PC.692 (PC692) Power Class 2-Way 6" x 9" Car Speakers

Those would be my three choices for the sub-100 dollar 6x9s on SE in order of preference. The JBLs are the most sensitive (meaning they'll perform louder at lower power) and the Pioneers are the least sensitive, but we're only talking about a difference of 94 vs 90db here.

Spotify:

I vote for those PPI that Mr neo_styles has recommended, or take a look at some Lanzars,or Polk Audio

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

If you can lift your budget a smidge, you could also look at this pair:

JBL P963 6" x 9" 3-way Power Series Speakers - Sonic Electronix

Basically as sensitive as the GTOs, but you get a better crossover network and I'm a bigger fan of the cone material. For some reason, the Power series was always the punchy member of the JBL family.

Spotify:

Also, talk to @mylows10 ; about pricing on this pair which would do fine on HU power, but shines on amplified power:

[url=http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43858_Massive-Audio-CK-69X.html]Massive Audio CK 69X 6" x 9" 2-Way CKX Component Speakers System[/url]

Spotify:

If he ever plans on amping them Neo then I'd suggest some of which you posted. But he's using a h/u that puts out

If he ever plans on amping them Neo then I'd suggest some of which you posted. But he's using a h/u that puts out

Ehh fair enough and apparently I skimmed right over the factory radio part.

OP, you'd probably see more gains just from amplifying your speakers rather than replacing them. Try that first, then revisit replacing your 6x9s

Spotify:

MB Quart REF4.50 400W RMS Reference Series 4-Channel Amplifier

Xscorpion SC-LC07 (LC-07) High to Low Compact Line Output Converter

4 gauge amplifier installation kit

OP, try these first with your stock speakers and see what kind of difference it makes. Then consider upgrading your speakers. Just need to be doing this in the right steps...

Spotify:

If you can lift your budget a smidge, you could also look at this pair:

JBL P963 6" x 9" 3-way Power Series Speakers - Sonic Electronix

Basically as sensitive as the GTOs, but you get a better crossover network and I'm a bigger fan of the cone material. For some reason, the Power series was always the punchy member of the JBL family.

How do these compare?

Infinity 693.9I 6" x 9" 3-way Kappa Series Speakers

'05 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 4X4 Off Road Modded Powerstroke

Rebuild in process

Pioneer DEH 80PRS

Modded Linear Power LP4753IQ

Front Woofer: Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5"

Front Tweeter: SEAS Neos in pods

Back: Pioneer TS-D6802R

Knukonceptz Karma 12ga

Stinger HPM3 RCA's

Big 8: PhoenixGold Oga

I've never been a fan of Infinity tweets, so you'll most likely be using the attenuator on those. I think Infinity is being a little generous in its FR response, as well. Otherwise, they are spec'd scaringly similar to each other.

Spotify:

I think he should go with the Lanzar off of the HU power, and get funds up to do a very nice install for amped speakers,and a single sub set up,and not waste money on good expensive quality speakers that will more than likely get clipped to death from distortion.Keep it simple I say, till you get the funds for a entry level set up.I think you will be surprised what the Lanzars can produce for you for your money.Just my 2cents

Your stock HU has no power. 6x9 are for midbass.

What?

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________

-Head Unit: Kenwood DNX-692HD_____________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100

-Sub Stage: Focal KX40 16"_________________ -Sub Stage: Looking

-Mids/Highs: Focal KRX & PHD AF____________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt

-Sub Amp: Mosconi AS200.4_________________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)

-Mid Amp: Mosconi AS200.4_________________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

I'd toss my idea. Morel Maximo 69C coaxial speakers. Morel Maximo have reputation for good sq, specially if you can run them active, and for good sensitivity. I think they will sound ok of head unit power, just don't crank the volume too high.

I'd toss my idea. Morel Maximo 69C coaxial speakers. Morel Maximo have reputation for good sq, specially if you can run them active, and for good sensitivity. I think they will sound ok of head unit power, just don't crank the volume too high.

Think he is just looking for coaxials man...

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________

-Head Unit: Kenwood DNX-692HD_____________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100

-Sub Stage: Focal KX40 16"_________________ -Sub Stage: Looking

-Mids/Highs: Focal KRX & PHD AF____________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt

-Sub Amp: Mosconi AS200.4_________________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)

-Mid Amp: Mosconi AS200.4_________________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

I've never been a fan of Infinity tweets, so you'll most likely be using the attenuator on those. I think Infinity is being a little generous in its FR response, as well. Otherwise, they are spec'd scaringly similar to each other.

Well they are both made by Harmon and yes the tweets like my Perfects absolutely have to be attenuated. I have 2 pair of some 7 year old JBL 6x8's P6852(?) from the power series with that same cone material. One went bad so I dissected it. No attenuator on the tweet, cleaner but didn't do lows as good as my Pioneer TS-D6802'S

'05 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 4X4 Off Road Modded Powerstroke

Rebuild in process

Pioneer DEH 80PRS

Modded Linear Power LP4753IQ

Front Woofer: Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5"

Front Tweeter: SEAS Neos in pods

Back: Pioneer TS-D6802R

Knukonceptz Karma 12ga

Stinger HPM3 RCA's

Big 8: PhoenixGold Oga

Well they are both made by Harmon and yes the tweets like my Perfects absolutely have to be attenuated. I have 2 pair of some 7 year old JBL 6x8's P6852(?) from the power series with that same cone material. One went bad so I dissected it. No attenuator on the tweet, cleaner but didn't do lows as good as my Pioneer TS-D6802'S

The TS-Ds are just a great set for the money across the board. the 6.5" comps come alive once you remove the passive crossovers and run them active.

Spotify:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this