Boston Acoustics GT-2125 Review

neo_styles
10+ year member

AKA Pop Twidget
WA
Review of Amplifier: Boston GT-2125

So as most of you who frequent Sonic Electronix know, the Boston Acoustics GT-2125 is being sold at fire sale prices. Hell, the whole Boston lineup is if you happen to go onto their website and look into the refurbished items. So I took this opportunity to go down the whole five miles it takes to SE HQ and pick mine up today. Yes, I'm that guy who's dumb enough to save an extra 5 bucks on a refurb, but there's a method to my madness. I want you guys to have the new stock because I could care less if my amp doesn't come with the manual or all the pack-ins or if it happens to have a couple scuffs on the mounting plate. Anywho, my point is you can buy the amp new from SE for 110 or you can be like me and buy a refurb (one left at the time of this review if that 5 bucks ends up a dealmaker).

BUT WAIT, you're still probably asking, IT'S A FIVE DOLLAR DIFFERENCE! ZOMG WHY DIDN'T YOU BUY IT NEW?!!?! Because somewhere in the back of my head, I have a feeling this refurb has been touched by Boston more recently than the new stock. I could be wrong, but whatever. Let's not forget what these things went for when they were brand new.

Now for the obligatory first picture and specs!
IMG_0315%5B1%5D.jpg

GT2125+specs.jpg

***Note. This is a Class A/B amp. It's mentioned later in the thread, but I'll add it here***

So as you can see it's tiny, but it's a workhorse. At just over a foot long at 2-ohm stable bridged at 600W, you can see why I tend to recommend this for a value sub stage amp. It'll power my ID10 quite nicely (and maybe even an IA Flatlyne further down the road). Even running in a 2-channel configuration, 125W should be more than enough for the average user.

The plan, as it stands, is to power the ID10 with this BA and the JBL MS comps on the Kenwood KAC-923 I received this weekend (courtesy of @mr b ; ). I will post updates as they come along since I still have to point out some key things on this amp, but the toolbag is unfortunately in my car and I am le tired so I won't be showing any additional pics tonight.

Stay tuned, folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, it's a $5 difference, why didn't you buy it new!?!? Lol. Looks like a solid amp. I like Boston.

Dude, it's a $5 difference, why didn't you buy it new!?!? Lol. Looks like a solid amp. I like Boston.
I bought the refurb so you could buy the new one, man! I don't mind used equipment.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Plus if it craps the bed, I'm sure I'll get a new one as a replacement.

I bought the refurb so you could buy the new one, man! I don't mind used equipment. 

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Plus if it craps the bed, I'm sure I'll get a new one as a replacement.
Lol just messin with ya. Looks solid. What's it replacing?

Lol just messin with ya. Looks solid. What's it replacing?
I'm pulling out the Eclipse 5-channel. Need someone to look at it because in 5-channel mode, the bridged output on the left side goes to 0V. Plus I want something that actually fits behind the rear seats so I can mount the sub forward-facing.

Honestly, if I'm impressed enough with this one, I'll snatch up another two or three and just run them on everything. They're so small for what they put out. Hard to believe it's a class A/B.

Yes and my girl is wondering why I am not selling or using the amps. STANDBY FOR A LONG SALE THREAD!
They never understand...but yeah, that 'Stang needs to have some breathing room.

That's a big amp fyi
Lol not really. Gotta remember it's a class A/B that actually was thought enough about during the design phase to include forced cooling. It's not tiny, but in comparison to competing models, I'd say the size is right.

Lol not really. Gotta remember it's a class A/B that actually was thought enough about during the design phase to include forced cooling. It's not tiny, but in comparison to competing models, I'd say the size is right.
you didn't specify class A/B

you didn't specify class A/B
Fair enough. Did now. Was going to install it today, but weather stinks and the whole family's coming down with a cold. Hopefully this weekend and I intend to break out the Canon 60D for shots and a video.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

neo_styles

10+ year member
AKA Pop Twidget
neo_styles
WA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies