Opinions on DEH-80PRS & CZ702

rtillaree
10+ year member

F***, Strong
Orlando
I am getting ready to setup my first CA system in over 5 years in my daily driver. I am leaning more toward SQ/SQL this time around. I won't be competing at all but I do want a wicked loud and relatively clear setup for myself. Not going reference level clean, but, you know, not muddy. I primarily listen to 90's hip-hop, 90's grunge/metal/rock music and the occasional dirty-south track for guilty pleasure purposes and this is mostly done using my iPod.

I have been looking at the Pioneer DEH-80PRS and now the Clarion CZ702 has been recommended to me.

For he HU, I'm looking for;

• iPod connectivity and decent interface
  • Clean output
  • Ability to expand into a sub-setup at some point
  • Decent-Good EQ interface
  • Quality preamps (5v+)

I was willing to spend up to $500 depending on the deck, but it looks like quality decks have dropped quite a bit in the last few years.

Thanks in advance

They're both good decks, pick the one that looks the best to you and will give you what you need audio wise. They both have their plus's and minus's but they also both have the ability to do everything you want.

My DEH-80PRS has noise and it is related to the Bluetooth circuit. If replacing the deck didn't involve redoing the rest of my system, it would be out of there!

Unfortunately, replacing the deck means that I will more than likely switch to an external processor. Since I don't want wires all over the dang car, that means I would have to put the processor under one of the front seats. Well, there is an amp under each front seat and both amps won't fit under one seat. So to ditch the noisy deck, I'd have to purchase a processor, a 5 channel amp, and a new deck. Yeah, I'll live with no Bluetooth for the time being!

I'd say clarion and save a ton of cash ... There badasś headunits
I don't know about "a ton". Looks like you can get a 80prs for about $50 more on average for used and looks like BestBuy is selling the 80prs for $269 atm. Having said that, the Clarion looks pretty nice. I used to only run Clarion back in the day.

If you ever wanted to adopt the wide band drivers in lieu of tweeters, the CZ702 would be a better choice since it allows for lower crossover points on the tweeter. The Pioneer, while I hate it for the Bluetooth noise, does offer more robust equalization and that can be key to getting your vehicle to sound the way you want it. So if you are going to run tweeters active on the tweeter channel, the Pioneer will ultimately give you more tuning options in the end.

The thing I like about the Pioneer is that it has TWO USB inputs on the back of it. I have one cable in the pocket under my radio and the other USB input is interfaced to the stock location in the center console. Also, doesn't the Pioneer have a direct digital connection to the iPod thereby bypassing the iPod DAC and using the HU's DAC for the audio stream?

Naturally, I hate the Bluetooth noise and the annoying remote beep that can not be defeated. I don't need a beep confirmation to tell me that I changed tracks or pressed the volume up/down button on my steering wheel controls.

I don't know about "a ton". Looks like you can get a 80prs for about $50 more on average for used and looks like BestBuy is selling the 80prs for $269 atm. Having said that, the Clarion looks pretty nice. I used to only run Clarion back in the day.
Lol there 100$ cheaper... There 150$ shipped new that's a ton if u ask me

I would figure the Pioneer would be better just out of eq options, but if youre that worried about eq you probably should not be using the deck anyway. Two usb ports seems to be a novelty anyway. I will probably order a CZ702 and try it out.

I don't think the equalizer problem will too bad, the clarion has a PEQ which is pretty flexible, plus you can run a true three way active front if you wanted to .

Pioneer DEH-80PRS has AutoEQ. I am not saying that you can't tune a head unit without AutoEQ, but it would have taken me faaar more time and tools to get eq and time alignment dialed in manually to the same result. It really cleared up the imaging, midrange, and treble. Suddenly the speakers sound like reference quality home speakers. That's a great result after a 10 minute calibration run. This is something I couldn't achieve with a Kenwood X994, even with bi-amped front stage. I just didn't like that AutoEQ likes to set subwoofer level pretty low, but that's fixable. CZ702 does seem like a good bargain too, consider it costs half the price of DEH-80PRS, specially if you're an experienced tuner with a good era and RTA setup. CZ702 costs less, but you need to spend more on tools to do your RTA setup. A precision microphone and software to drive it can cost $100. Granted, a home brew RTA with either head unit will probably lead to a better tune than Pioneers AutoEQ by itself. Parametric equalizer of CZ702 is also quite nice feature.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.