Type R vs Obsidian vs RE S*X

swrve
10+ year member

Ohio
ive been out of the game for a little while, and some things have definitely changed, so im looking for some advice here. i have an 07 camry se with an incredibly thick foam padded back seat that i cant fold down, but im still shooting for a single 12, and about an 800 watt amp. im trying to decide between an Obsidian 12, a new Type R 12, or an RE Audio S*X 12. i have experience with an older type r, i hit a 142 with two 10's on a sundown 1200 in a tahoe, and i did like those as far as sound go as well, but for the money i wanna spend, these 3 seem to be my best options. i know RE was bought out some time ago, but havent heard much on them since? and as for Obsisian, all ive read here has been good. so, hopefully someone with experience on all these subs can give me a recommendation on which to choose.

thank you in advance

Obsidian out of those three forsure ... Unless ur on a budget then maybe used type rs from the *** above me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bigwave.gif.16324171cad2db62cf4f16568b038478.gif

Obsidian out of those three forsure ... Unless ur on a budget then maybe used type rs from the *** above me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bigwave.gif.16324171cad2db62cf4f16568b038478.gif
Sold finally

good luck lol, it took me awhile to find the originoal SE's, ended up with some d4 12's. IF you want re has there new pro seriers wich is pretty much just same design. still black baskets but now have the 12 spoke. there was a set of 10's floating around here for sale.

try looking for the previous gen of the re SEX (referred to as just RE SE)

Thanks guys! Those that said obsidian, have you heard them and type r's on similar power? Are they just louder? Or sound better?

Thank you

I saw a review of a new Type-R in a Russian magazine. There were two interesting things about it. First, the distortion was very low, and 3rd order harmonic distortion almost non-existent until down to like 30Hz. Second, the measured t/s parameters were dead on similar to those published in the manual. To me this suggests that this is fundamentally good subwoofer. Whether it sounds good or sloppy probably mostly depends on the box design and tuning. Having said that, people who heard RE Se/X for the most part wrote very good reviews for it too. I suspect Type R is a better, more modern design though. Both are a good value.

I can imagine the Obsidian is louder, AND sounds better on the same power. As for deeper, maybe not. But they can take a lot more power than a Type R, I believe.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.