Looking to upgrade

Participant count
  • Participants list

tpastor
10+ year member

Im going to look at a jl 18w6 on sunday, and im wondering what i should decide. I can either get a jl !8w6 with a powerful amp (Slash 1000v2), or i can take an offer, offered by my local car audio store. A Jx 1000 amp for $350, and he said he would sell me 2 12w3v3 subs with a box for $400. The 18" sub is in jl recomended deminsions. it will fit in my trunk, it just could stand up. Do you guys prefer 2 12" subs or 1 18" sub? I like sound quality, also, with a very low bass. i have a rockford renegade 850s amp right now, and im planning on getting a new amp. would you recommend a slash or a jx amp? i have a 97 corolla, so space is sort of an issue.

400 for a couple 12w3v3? I'd sell you one for $100

Anyway, you can do better than JL for the price. I like JL for the resale value though. Just be cautious that some local shops mark up as much as 300%

400 for a couple 12w3v3? I'd sell you one for $100
Anyway, you can do better than JL for the price. I like JL for the resale value though. Just be cautious that some local shops mark up as much as 300%
Jesus! That much of a mark up??? I'm going to become a distributor! God man..

That 500 watt rating is pretty on par, I'm sure it will take a bit more but not much more than 1000 if 1000 at all
I don't know about that sub specifically... but I definitely had 1krms to my 12w3v3 for about 6 months and it took it like a champ. My 12" Pioneer Champion Pro rated at 1k rms couldn't even handle the same power, it started smelling bad. So.. I moved to a couple of Gcons and they love the power. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I don't know about that sub specifically... but I definitely had 1krms to my 12w3v3 for about 6 months and it took it like a champ. My 12" Pioneer Champion Pro rated at 1k rms couldn't even handle the same power, it started smelling bad. So.. I moved to a couple of Gcons and they love the power. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
These are the older JL subs. They sound awesome, but again you have to be careful with the amount of power you throw at them.

So, you guys would think the 18" sub could take around 700 rms?
That should be fine, but you should start off conservatively with your gain and if you have one available, check it with an oscope to make sure it's not clipping.

Yes, though I hope you have the available volume for an 18. Keep in mind that JL specs for an enclosure and the best specs for an enclosure are not necessarily the same. My 12W3v2 didn't open up until I had a better box made for it (first was built to JL spec). Don't be afraid to go ported, either, as you can still retain good sound quality and get much better low end extension without requiring as much power to make it happen. Unless we're talking about a Morel Ultimo, 700RMS should be fine for SQ.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.