Starting new business

I'm thinking about starting a new car audio business and running it from home. I would probably do mainly budget installs, not much high end just due to the fact that there isn't much demand for high end audio around here, but everyone seems to want something small.

Does anyone have any tips for startup or anything else? Such as services I could offer and oter eneral tips. And I need a few cheap brands to look into that would actually sound decent, not like the Boss crap they sell at the only audio store around (which is 30 minutes away)

I have a tip... dont do it.
what?

as long as your install quality is nice, word will spread fast, I used to do the same thing, and i made more doing that than at my actual job.

keep lots of wire, and install accessorys around.

For once I agree with Ranger.

The idea of running an audio company from home is less then ideal. Most of all real companies won't sell you product and any company that would will likely be found online for cheaper.

Not to mention, that in many states/cities it is illegal to run a business from home.

Ehh, if you just want some side cash, you can do installs from home. I wouldn't mess with sales so much but people always need used equipment installed and if you have free time, why not? Just keep lots of install accessories and tools around.

It's perfectly legal to run a business from home here. And I'm not planning on anything big, just installing mostly. I'm not trying to make money off of selling merchandise. And if I really needed a "business" location rather than home, that would be no problem at all.

I've got all the tools needed, and I've always done everything car audio related myself(other than having double 07 build one of my boxes, although I have built a box before)

I guess right now my plan is to simply install, maybe get into box building after a little while, and go from there.

I have seen a few "house call" kind of adds local to here that seem to do well. I personally wouldn't want some of my clients knowing exactly where I live or what I own. Not because they are upset, but do to some people having sticky fingers. Very sad to have to say that, but it is true.

Been there done that. The type of clients you will attract are not ones that you will want knowing where you live. People expect you to "hook them up" meaning work for nothing. I had more success selling enclosures and meeting people to exchange goods for money rather than bringing them to my home.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

I have seen a few "house call" kind of adds local to here that seem to do well. I personally wouldn't want some of my clients knowing exactly where I live or what I own. Not because they are upset, but do to some people having sticky fingers. Very sad to have to say that, but it is true.
Yeah I have to agree.

Been there done that. The type of clients you will attract are not ones that you will want knowing where you live. People expect you to "hook them up" meaning work for nothing. I had more success selling enclosures and meeting people to exchange goods for money rather than bringing them to my home. 

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Yeah I have to agree.
This man.. I wouldn't want the local riff raff hanging out in my drive way all day... Smoking cigarettes and weed out there.. Pass! You know they would!

I'd only be doing business at my actual house if it was a friend. Most would be done at my grandparent's shop anyway - they own a semi truck business.

And also to put things into perspective, the high school I currently attend has an enrollment of 400 people... It's a pretty small town but I know pretty much everyone here, along with tons of people elsewhere in the county.

It's a good idea if you know what you're doing. How many installs have you done? If you mess up are you willing to pay for damages/spend time fixing it? Finding a customer base in a high school would be fairly easy but then also hard. You will find many people that will want to buy the equipment themselves then pay you $20 to install it. What I did was do it with a friend that was into car audio and he told me he knew all about it and the best ways to wire ect. He knew nothing so did I so the install took around two weeks and a messy car.. If you think you can whip through an install in a few hours and can charge high school kids a decent but not a price like best buys then you may be able to make a few hundred bucks but like I said high school kids don't have money..

if you can do it, offer remote start and after market cruise installs also. that stuff makes as much around here as car audio installs. and have the people buy the install kits, you just want to provide the install service, and provide your own crimp connectors and consumables, but don't try and resale actual product.

Don't start a car audio business, at home or otherwise. Car audio is dead, guys. We still like it, but VERY few other people still do. Stock systems have gotten more than good enough for 99.9% of people. And it doesn't even make you decent money anyway.

Considering that about half the guys at my school who have cars have a system of some sort, whether its one 10 on a 100 watt amp or my friend with 2 15s on 3000 watts. It's far from dead around here.

And I've done all my own installs (3 so far) and helped quite a few friends install theirs.

Anyway, I've made a Facebook page for doing installs and I'll see how it goes. It's not like I'm going to be relying on this for my income; I have a job and this will just be extra money.

For once I agree with Ranger.
The idea of running an audio company from home is less then ideal. Most of all real companies won't sell you product and any company that would will likely be found online for cheaper.

Not to mention, that in many states/cities it is illegal to run a business from home.
What would the state say about having a traveling business? Forinstance, what if you had a van with all of your installation tools and accesories. is it still taboo to have a sort of "mobile shop"

I know it's a completely impractical idea, but i'm just curious.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.