Amp install questions

ausman

Iowa
I have a 250 rms watt Rockford Fosgate amp and a 1000 rms watt Rockford Fosgate amp that I'm putting in my 2001 v6 mustang, I am wondering what i need to do as far as what gauge of power and ground wire to run and do i need a HO alternator or a better battery to run this system properly?

Thanks

You'll want a good battery. Deka Intimidator. Oversized from stock size if you can fit it. The bigger the better. Group 31 if you can.

You may or may not need a new alternator. If you want to really push those amps to the limit, you probably will. A good - and bigger - battery may or may not be enough. You can do a second battery if you want, keeping the stock one under the hood and a bigger one in the back.

If you do a second battery/battery location, you want to use a minimum of 0 AWG wire. If you don't, 4 gauge will work. If you want to be able to upgrade amps to even more power later and/or a battery in the back later, use the 0 gauge now. Personally I say big battery under the hood and alt if necessary.

I know you won't have much space back there but I'm not ever sure I've really checked a New Edge out up close all that much.

what dragonrage says stay with 0 ga. and just get 0/4 ga distribution block to run 4 ga. from there to the amps and also the big 3 under the hood too

Ok so i already have 4 gauge ran, so 4 gauge will work without big performance loss if i dont plan on upgrading later.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.