How much sound deadner in expedition

Trevor28139
10+ year member

About to tear truck down to get ready for next build, I intend to not to tear it down again so I would like to get the sound deadener right the first time and I want to ensure that I have enough on hand to do the entire truck adequately. Looking at the AT and they have 80-120-240 sq foot. Ballpark estimate is I have no more than 40 sq ft of floor, so double that for the roof and we are at 80, then the doors, which I'm doing pods so I don't have to worry about the actual inside of the doors just the inner skin. so 120 sq ft seems to me like it would be enough IF one layer is sufficient. I'm not very concerned with spending money on it but I don't also don't want to over order and **** away money either.

So is 1 layer of 60 mil adequate? or what would you guys with experience with it recommend?

And if anyone has done a similar sized vehicle, how much did you use to get good results?

Ford Expedition

Just take measurements and figure up the sq ftage pretty simple... total coverage 1layer might be good... I have almost 1 complete layer in my car and its pretty good so far... might do some CCF and MLV later down the road also.

Did you use 60 or 80 mil? That was my main question the footage is not hard to calculate but i don't know how many layers....and i hate doing something and then having to order more or end up at a shop paying full retail pricing because i didn't plan properly

Did you use 60 or 80 mil? That was my main question the footage is not hard to calculate but i don't know how many layers....and i hate doing something and then having to order more or end up at a shop paying full retail pricing because i didn't plan properly
Are you doing sql? sq? spl? If you doing sq one layer should be good.. with ccf and mlv.. sql about the same spl multi layers iv'e seen done.. If you have the money get the 80mil instead of the 60mil.. doesn't hurt to get extra for some trouble spots either... but unless you competeing or something single layer should be good and then use the extra on the spots that still rattle.. or brace them spots

I have 60mil... has taken away a good 60% of the rattle I had... the last 40sq ft I have left should take care of another 20% plus finish up my floors.. and a few spots on my roof..

Are you doing sql? sq? spl? If you doing sq one layer should be good.. with ccf and mlv.. sql about the same spl multi layers iv'e seen done.. If you have the money get the 80mil instead of the 60mil.. doesn't hurt to get extra for some trouble spots either... but unless you competeing or something single layer should be good and then use the extra on the spots that still rattle.. or brace them spots
not competition at all just DD but front stage is geared toward SQ and subs, trying to get the best of both worlds....trying.

not competition at all just DD but front stage is geared toward SQ and subs, trying to get the best of both worlds....trying.
SQL... I would do a Single Layer of 80mil... get an extra 25% of the total sq ft to hit troublesome spots.. CCF "closed cell foam".. and MLV "mass load vinyl"

do the floors with the ccf and mlv..

But if you really want to see an sq setup checkout one of Keep_Hope_Alive's build logs man...

I would only do 25% coverage with CLD. take the left over money you saved by not buying as much cld and spend it on ccf and mlv. The floor should be the last place you put CLD because the floor already has a ton of weight on it

I would only do 25% coverage with CLD. take the left over money you saved by not buying as much cld and spend it on ccf and mlv. The floor should be the last place you put CLD because the floor already has a ton of weight on it
this. i dont understand why people put multiple layers of deadener on. as don says at sds, there is a point where it becomes non cost effective.

this. i dont understand why people put multiple layers of deadener on. as don says at sds, there is a point where it becomes non cost effective.
To be completely honest I used to be one of those people who did 100% coverage, until I Installed some knukoncepts kno noise 80mill in a trailblazer and did 100% coverage on one door than moved to the next and put one solid stip of it down the middle. both doors seemed equally as "dead". I also dont understand people who put it on the floor, the point of cld is to weigh a pannel down and lower its resonant frequency, their is already so much weight on the floor its useless unless youre chasing numbers

To be completely honest I used to be one of those people who did 100% coverage, until I Installed some knukoncepts kno noise 80mill in a trailblazer and did 100% coverage on one door then moved to the next and put one solid stip of it down the middle. both doors seemed equally as "dead". I also dont understand people who put it on the floor, the point of cld is to weigh a pannel down and lower its resonant frequency, their is already so much weight on the floor its useless unless youre chasing numbers

I appreciate all the feedback.... unfortunately when I take all the comments in, I think i am more confused than i was before LOL. But do have to dig into CCF and do some research not heard much about it before

To be completely honest I used to be one of those people who did 100% coverage, until I Installed some knukoncepts kno noise 80mill in a trailblazer and did 100% coverage on one door then moved to the next and put one solid stip of it down the middle. both doors seemed equally as "dead". I also dont understand people who put it on the floor, the point of cld is to weigh a pannel down and lower its resonant frequency, their is already so much weight on the floor its useless unless youre chasing numbers
My floor panels vibrated more than my roof and doors..

[quote name='Trevor28139']I appreciate all the feedback.... unfortunately when I take all the comments in, I think i am more confused than i was before LOL. But do have to dig into CCF and do some research not heard much about it before[/QUOTE]

Msg, @keep_hope_alive ; ... he has more experiance on any of this more than anyone thats posted in this thread man...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.