hu vs pc

Participant count
  • Participants list

Trevor28139
10+ year member

It's time for me to upgrade the weak link in my setup which is the deck/source. My main focus is sq so the pioneer 99rs has been the deck i have been looking at. But was curious as to how it stacks up to a pc with a killer sound card. I think I can do either for about the same money so it's really comes down To which has best audio...

Or you could get a dva-9861 (or any deck with optical out) and a bit one or ps8 for the same price as the pioneer and get everything the p99rs has to offer x 10.

The processors give you much more control and have better DAC's.

Make sure you get a controller if you go with a processor.

Why Do you not see computers running sq comp vehicles? I'm assuming there is Something I am overlooking
People like a deck in their dash. They think its better.

If you are talking about a Mcintosh MX5000 or MX4000, that's one thing.

But you can do better than a p99rs for the price...

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

I had one for 5 months and switched it out in case you were interested... it was the weakest link in my gear hands down.

Or you could get a dva-9861 (or any deck with optical out) and a bit one or ps8 for the same price as the pioneer and get everything the p99rs has to offer x 10.The processors give you much more control and have better DAC's.

Make sure you get a controller if you go with a processor.
Is optical the only digital out on HU's?

Some have digital coax. It is more subject to noise because it's an electrical signal.
True, but from working with fiber every day, that shit does NOT belong in a car. Though I guess someone running optical would be advanced enough to do a good install.

Why Do you not see computers running sq comp vehicles? I'm assuming there is Something I am overlooking
When I switched the p99rs out to my dva-9861 and ps8. The sound was 3x as full as with the pioneer, same speakers, same amps, same everything except the source.

People think inside the box. They want a deck because most computers plug into AC outlets. I am not sure if they can compete with a computer in their dash either...

The raw processing power of some of the sound cards that are out there dwarfs the p99...

The FM tuner and the ipod interface are the good features on that unit. The cd player did not impress me.

Are you running active/passive crossovers?

Well I'm not building a competition vehicle I just want it to be as good as feasibly possibly. I don't care about indash Unit my deck is hidden away in my console now.

I probably will not be going to the optical out level That's a bit beyond me. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of results I will see of I take one of my spare media PC's and put it in the truck with a small touch screen monitor vs buying a 800-1000 headunit. the computer way will actually be very little out of pocket costs because I have most of what I would need.

Got active crossovers now but added another amp today and will be doing 8s in the doors soon so will have 5 amps total and each need to be crossed over differently so I'm going to probably pick up an eqx or something equivalent

Rephrase that 2 amps will be on the 8s so they will be crossed over the same. But I do want a crossover that cuts high and low

True, but from working with fiber every day, that shit does NOT belong in a car. Though I guess someone running optical would be advanced enough to do a good install.

I've run setups with fiber optic cables several times. I never had any issues with damage to the cables. I'm currently using the optical outputs on my HU & changer to my processor.

Got active crossovers now but added another amp today and will be doing 8s in the doors soon so will have 5 amps total and each need to be crossed over differently so I'm going to probably pick up an eqx or something equivalent
Rephrase that 2 amps will be on the 8s so they will be crossed over the same. But I do want a crossover that cuts high and low
Whatever you decide I would shy away from the p99.

Get a good (250$ alpine) or any deck that sounds good to your ears and pick up a processor. Personally I love digital out/input. RCA output isn't that bad either.

You will save money and have a better sound with a lot of options.

Just one thing that I like with the ps8 is instead of just a left/right eq. I have a 31 band eq for every individual channel. The capability to select my output voltage to my amps is a big plus for me.

Not to be naive but the digital out goes to processor and rcas out of the processor into crossover right
The processor handles all your crossovers. Digital out or RCA out from the deck to the processor and you run RCAs from the processor to your amps. Connect all your speakers directly to the amp and run the amp wide open (no filters/crossovers required).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Trevor28139

10+ year member
Trevor28139
Rutherfordton NC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from