I need opinions on a new budget setup!!!

Participant count
  • Participants list

95COUGARBOOM
10+ year member

Indiana
Hello all, i new to the forum but not new to car audio.. Well im kinda new to it. I was into car audio in my late teens... but im just now getting back into it at 27... I through together a "get me by" system in my 95 cougar. I literally have under 100 bucks in the whole thing... i have two old school visonik 12"s in a 1 cf per chamber sealed box and a pyramid 2000w amp. i kno this setup would have to move up a step to be even LOW end but it isnt bad... I can make my steering wheel wobble at 35hz full volume... but im going to be doing an upgrade hopefully at tax time which isnt far away so i was looking for opinions on my next setup.. Now i have five kids so this to is going to be a budget setup... Let me kno what u think..

(2) JBL GT5-12d subs

(1) Self built Ported enclosure tuned to 35 hz with 3.5 Cu.

(1) Audiopipe AP-15001d amp (I picked this amp based on REAL power output which is around 1100RMS at 1 ohm)

(1) TRUE 4 Gauge KOLOSSUS Knukoncepts amp wiring kit w/8 guage speaker wire

(1) Power Aukustic 5 farad cap (probably overkill but my lights dim with the CHEAPO pyramid amp)

Well there it is... what do u think this system will put out? SQL/SPL

Im a fan of the lows... 40hz down to the 20Hz range... I kno this setup wont blow out any windows or shake things off walls but im really hoping to find a few new rattles in the old cougar

Ditch the cap and use the savings on a Big 3 upgrade. Shuold be able to help with the dimming. Also, consider the APSM instead of the AP due to its smaller form factor and the fact it won't task your electrical so much. I'd keep those Visioniks if there's nothing wrong with them as they're great subs. Any reason you're looking at 8ga speaker wire? Seems a bit much and 10ga to your subs and 14ga to your speakers should be MORE than enough.

Finally, talk to @Kangaroux ; and ask him to design a box for whatever subs you're looking into to see where they'll be best tuned. 35Hz seems a bit high to me for some reason.

Hello all, i new to the forum but not new to car audio.. Well im kinda new to it. I was into car audio in my late teens... but im just now getting back into it at 27... I through together a "get me by" system in my 95 cougar. I literally have under 100 bucks in the whole thing... i have two old school visonik 12"s in a 1 cf per chamber sealed box and a pyramid 2000w amp. i kno this setup would have to move up a step to be even LOW end but it isnt bad... I can make my steering wheel wobble at 35hz full volume... but im going to be doing an upgrade hopefully at tax time which isnt far away so i was looking for opinions on my next setup.. Now i have five kids so this to is going to be a budget setup... Let me kno
(2) JBL GT5-12d subs

(1) Self built Ported enclosure tuned to 35 hz with 3.5 Cu.

(1) Audiopipe AP-15001d amp (I picked this amp based on REAL power output which is around 1100RMS at 1 ohm)

(1) TRUE 4 Gauge KOLOSSUS Knukoncepts amp wiring kit w/8 guage speaker wire

(1) Power Aukustic 5 farad cap (probably overkill but my lights dim with the CHEAPO pyramid amp)

Well there it is... what do u think this system will put out? SQL/SPL

Im a fan of the lows... 40hz down to the 20Hz range... I kno this setup wont blow out any windows or shake things off walls but im really hoping to find a few new rattles in the old cougar
change sub to one xfl 12 or hdc3 12

Dont use the cap, they wont stop your lights from dimming. If you want to help out your electrical system take the money you would spend on the cap and do the big 3 upgrade. if you dont know what that is some info can be found out about it here.

[video=youtube;p82xRzCr-lc]

As far as the subs go for the 100 dollar price range you would be better buying off used, a great place to look would be here in our buy/sell section. Or if youre against buying used you could check out the Sundown audio E series, the SSA dcon. Incriminator audio I series or on the more expsensive side of things, and probably the best out of all the previous mentioned, obsidian audio 12's. Im sure I left out a lot of other great brands

thanks for all the replies guys... i was going to use 8awg speaker wire simply because when i upgrade to the 4awg kit i will have my 8awg power wire just laying around and would give me head room if i ever plan to go balls deep in some competition level subs... i will drop the cap as well no sense in spending money on something that wont work... the big 3 will be done... as far as the subs go i can get the pair for 150 shipped... if u guys kno of any other pair that will outperform the jbls on the lows for 150 shipped plz plz let me kno... and as for the amp the AP outperforms the APSM by about 150 watts when clamped... but im still open to the APSM if u guys think it will be better... keep it coming guys

ive been checking out the dcons and it says 300wrms.. and that they shouldnt be overpowered...so that drops them out of the list... any more sub recommendations?

If you have the room (to mount it), ditch the 2 junky 12's and go with a single ported 15, they use about the same amount of space. a used SA-15 can be found easily in that price range.

Also would recommend the Hifonics BRZ1200.1D over the Audiopipe, the extra 20 bucks is worth it to me, the BRZ series is a very proven budget amp.

OK guys i have done research for hours and i think ive got a few more questions... (UnderFire) After looking at clamp tests of the brz i have decided to go that route... thank u... and to (itsblown) At two ohms do u think the DCON's will take the extra power? anyone else have any thoughts? The BRZ is underrated at 1 ohm by 100 or so watts. So at 2 ohm it should theoreticaly Do about 950 or so. Can the DECON's take that daily at 2 OHMS?

After talking to some ppl online about what i have i think im going to keep the visoniks with a brz1200.1d until they blow... then i will up grade to 2 AB xfl 12's and another brz1200 both dual 2 ohm vc running at 1 ohm. that should find a few rattles.. and the box will be ported and the port will go into the cabin where my center arm rest comes down.. that will be awesome..lol

hey guys... i went ahead and ordered an amp... i got a hifonics hfi1000.1d and also installed 4 ga. wiring... sounds pretty good and hits pretty hard... thamks for the suggestions

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.