lowering sub impedence?

Two single voice coil 8 ohm subs? If so you can wire them together in parallel for a four ohm load.
No, I mean taking an 8 ohm sub, and doing something to it to cause it to become a 4 ohm sub.

has anyone ever tried to add a resistor on their speakers to get the desired impedance? did it do the trick??
It would definitely drop the impedance but that resistor is going to be burning off/soaking up half of the power that you are trying to get to your speakers. You won't get anywhere unless you are trying to find an alternate way to heat your car

has anyone ever tried to add a resistor on their speakers to get the desired impedance? did it do the trick??
First, shouldn't adding resistance increase (not decrease) the nominal impedance? Second, I believe this has already been discussed on some forum in the past. The resistor you need will not be cheap, which kind of erases the benefits.

Personally, I would trade/sell the subwoofer for another one with 4ohm impedance, run the 8ohm subwoofer as is (after all, you just lose -3dB at peak), or add a second identical subwoofer, wire in parallel for 4ohm impedance.

First, shouldn't adding resistance increase (not decrease) the nominal impedance? Second, I believe this has already been discussed on some forum in the past. The resistor you need will not be cheap, which kind of erases the benefits.
It would depend on how you added the resistor. If you wired it in series with the sub the impedance will go up. If you were to wire it in parallel with the sub your impedance would drop. You are correct about the resistor being pricey and you would never gain anything out of it. It is a terrible idea any way you slice it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.