• Boston Acoustics SPG555 13" (no box)

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • 2 Kicker L7 10" (prefab)

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

DJSmooth245
10+ year member

Dallas
Well i just closed a deal with a guy on craigslist. He texted me asking if i wanted to trade my 2 (05 model --blue--) L7 10s in a ported prefab...for his Boston Acoustics SPG555 13". im like..wtf is this? ive never heard of this sub before..and its freakin oval!!! how do i find a box for that?

well im just wondering should i continue with this trade? is it a great one? he said nothing is wrong with it and it plays fine...his amp just cant play it...he showed me pics as well and it looks very very clean and nice..just...has no box. good trade by me even without a box???

Posted a poll at the top for a quick reference of how this thread will turn out..

Yea first off the prefab box is not doing those kickers any good so you would be much better off getting the BA and getting a nice box built for it, would give you better sq and output.

sounds good...again ive always been a pure Loud bass kinda guy..hence why ive been with kicker..dont really care too much for SQ...but i MAY reconsider if this sub is that good...did some research and it seems people are comparing this sub to the W7.....SERIOUSLY??? ITS THAT BIG OF A STEP UP FROM MY CURRENT SETUP?? mann..this trade sounds almost too good to be true.

not get loud? really? im not really falling in love with that idea... and the IDMax i have no clue about. and as far as it being a SQ sub or semi loud...imma be highly upset if this thing doesnt get as loud as my CVX 12 i had.

The Boston is highly comparable to a W7. Same idea, but a little more geared towards sound quality than the W7. Also, MUCH better build quality and more features. One of my "bucket list" subwoofers.

If you built an enclosure tailored towards the t/s parameters of both the L7's and the Boston, you'll be louder with the L7's. However, the Boston will sound a million times better. Again, that's not with a prefab. The Boston in a properly designed and built box versus the L7's in a prefab will be a night and day difference.

Good luck, let us know how you like the Boston if you get it!

preciate it. and yeah im starting not to like this sub as much anymore. lol All this talk of SQ and Sound better....bleh...im not really looking for that. it would be a nice addition but id hate to give up any loudness...not to say i have much right now considering the box...but i was going to have a box built regardless of what sub i had...this sub ill need a box for and the L7s i was planning on gettin a box for...so i was just more or less deciding on subs. it may sound a million times better than the L7...but if it isnt as loud its gonna drive me crazy. i...in no way...have a SQ setup right now so a SQ sub will do me no good. i know its pretty hard to beat the L7s in pure loudness (thats kinda what i like about em)...but theres gotta be SOME kind of sub thats louder than it...

comparable to a W7 makes me smile until i read its just more of a SQ sub than the W7...i always thought the W7 was pure SQ anyway..and even more SQ than that?? i hope i dont hate this sub...because by the sounds of it...i may wind up selling or trading this thing before the year is over

I haven't heard of a sub with more conflicting reviews than this one. Some people will make a claim that this is an SPL subwoofer with no finesse, and others will say that it's a great SQ and SPL subwoofer. The DIYMA Klippel test seemed pretty average. It showed that this driver doesn't appear to be particularly well suited either as an SPL or SQ subwoofer (overheated too quickly, offset in BL curve, etc). Of course, this doesn't mean that this subwoofer has to sound bad if it was installed and tuned with a good care. But then you can say any sub will sound at least ok and enjoyable if installed correctly.

Considering the mixed reviews, I personally don't know why I'd go with this instead of say one of Image Dynamics IDQ, IDMAX, JL W6, or Sundown SA-12. These subs had good Klippel results and also very good word of mouth reviews.

I've heard some people say that going from a system that's geared completely towards output (very peaky) to a system designed to have sound quality throughout all frequencies, you don't really notice a huge difference in output except on the frequencies that the old system was loudest at, just a thought, never actually experienced it myself..

preciate it. and yeah im starting not to like this sub as much anymore. lol All this talk of SQ and Sound better....bleh...im not really looking for that. it would be a nice addition but id hate to give up any loudness...not to say i have much right now considering the box...but i was going to have a box built regardless of what sub i had...this sub ill need a box for and the L7s i was planning on gettin a box for...so i was just more or less deciding on subs. it may sound a million times better than the L7...but if it isnt as loud its gonna drive me crazy. i...in no way...have a SQ setup right now so a SQ sub will do me no good. i know its pretty hard to beat the L7s in pure loudness (thats kinda what i like about em)...but theres gotta be SOME kind of sub thats louder than it...
comparable to a W7 makes me smile until i read its just more of a SQ sub than the W7...i always thought the W7 was pure SQ anyway..and even more SQ than that?? i hope i dont hate this sub...because by the sounds of it...i may wind up selling or trading this thing before the year is over
There are tons and tons of subs that would destroy kicker L7s in SQ and output. It's not hard to beat them in loudness.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...