6 layer cabniet grade plywood for box?

justice66
10+ year member

I was at my local homedepot ( on military highway for the locals guys) and they have 23/32 cabinet grade plywood for $29 a sheet. I was wondering if it can be used to build a sub box. It is either that or traditional mdf. It just looks like a good deal I can't find the 13 ply Baltic birch everyone talks about so I was hoping I could use it. My box will be 2 layer thick if that matters. Thanks for the help.-Jon

Ok thank you for the input I'm gonna keep on researching. Anyone in the Hampton roads area know where to buy the right wood other then mdf? Nothing against mdf I'm just trying to save a little weight.

Home Depot and Lowes usually have 7ply and 11ply. The 11ply is MUCH denser and better to work with. The 7ply will work, but the layers are thicker/softer, so it's not as strong.

what is the big build? How large of an enclosure? If panels are really big you can always do window bracing or strap bracing for smaller enclosures

The big build is 3 15 XFLs on 4k. I'm not sure how big the box is because I'm waiting on a design. Probably 12-15 cubes I'm guessing. I will definitely be bracing it really good.

Cabinet grade just means that the outer plys are clear without blemishes. Inside there can still be voids with 7 ply but if you're doubling it up and bracing it I'd say it's OK.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.