Sound gets ALOT louder when Input Sensitivity is turned down, is that okay?

Participant count
  • Participant list

asilentfire
10+ year member

I have a Planet Audio 5 channel amplifier, here are the stats:

Anarchy Series 5-Channel Car Amplifier

RMS Power Rating:

210 watts x 4 channels + 420 watts x 1 channel

420 watts x 2 channels + 420 watts x 1 channel

Max power output:

300 watts x 4 channels + 600 watts x 1 channel

Pulse width modulated MOSFET power supply

Convenient remote subwoofer control

LED power (green) and protect (red) indicators

Variable Bass Boost 0 to +18 dB

Bridgeable Tri-mode operations

Chrome-plated connections enhance durability

Variable high and low pass crossovers

Illuminated logo

3-Way System Protection circuitry (thermal, overload, and speaker short protection)

Heavy duty aluminum alloy heatsink for extreme heat dissipation

Low level high inputs

Nickel-plated contacts

Heavy-duty set-screw terminals

Input sensitivity:

Low level: 100mV-2V

High level: 2V-8V

Variable high-pass filter (50-500 Hz, 24 dB/octave)

Variable low-pass filter (45-90 Hz, 24 dB/octave)

Damping factor: >125

Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 102 dB

Frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz

I have this hooked up to Pioneer TS-W309D4 subs, JBL p560c components, and rear fill.. problem is, its just too quiet: it should be much louder.. I find that when I switch the Input sensitivity to 100mV-2V its much louder. My head unit is a JVC Arsenal KDA535 with 2.5V preamp outputs, which is in the 2V-8V category, but SOOO close to the 100mV-2V category.

Can I switch the input sensitivity to 100mV-2V even though the preamp is 2.5V without hurting anything? It makes the difference of not feeling the music and feeling it.

Thanks!

I think I know what the problem is.

The term 'Input Sensitivity' is equivalent to the amp's Gain. Basically, this setting determines how hard your amp's working to generate power. A lot of amplifiers, including mine, have high numbers when the gain's low, and low numbers when the gain's high. Let me explain.

On my amplifier, when the gain (or input sensitivity) is at it's highest number, the gain is actually all the way down. When it's at its' lowest number (mine being .3), that means the gain is all the way up. This is where the amp is working the hardest. It's odd, and I don't know exactly why they do it, but that's how it is for my amp.

It seems like the smaller numbers would mean the gain would be lower, but the opposite is true - at least for me. I think that may be the problem here. You probably have the gain cranked up thinking that it's all the way down - it's not. I think you think you're turning your amp's setting down, when you're actually turning it up. That's why it's getting louder when the setting is down. (Or in this case, when it's actually being turned up.)

If you're running your amp with the gain cranked up, you're probably clipping the sh*t out of whatever it's hooked up to (no offense, but considering it's Planet Audio, I know that thing's clipping hard). Turn it back down to it's lowest setting, or the highest number on the amp. That's where the amplifier is safe to be at. Then use the DMM method, or use an o-scope, to find out where you can set your amplifier without clipping it.

I think I know what the problem is.
The term 'Input Sensitivity' is equivalent to the amp's Gain. Basically, this setting determines how hard your amp's working to generate power. A lot of amplifiers, including mine, have high numbers when the gain's low, and low numbers when the gain's high. Let me explain.

On my amplifier, when the gain (or input sensitivity) is at it's highest number, the gain is actually all the way down. When it's at its' lowest number (mine being .3), that means the gain is all the way up. This is where the amp is working the hardest. It's odd, and I don't know exactly why they do it, but that's how it is for my amp.

It seems like the smaller numbers would mean the gain would be lower, but the opposite is true - at least for me. I think that may be the problem here. You probably have the gain cranked up thinking that it's all the way down - it's not. I think you think you're turning your amp's setting down, when you're actually turning it up. That's why it's getting louder when the setting is down. (Or in this case, when it's actually being turned up.)

If you're running your amp with the gain cranked up, you're probably clipping the sh*t out of whatever it's hooked up to (no offense, but considering it's Planet Audio, I know that thing's clipping hard). Turn it back down to it's lowest setting, or the highest number on the amp. That's where the amplifier is safe to be at. Then use the DMM method, or use an o-scope, to find out where you can set your amplifier without clipping it.
gain is not how hard your amp is working. all it does is match the input voltage. say your hu sends out a 4v signal at full volume, then you want to set the gain to 4v. simple. thus the .3- to whatever voltage it says. at least that is my understanding...

gain is not how hard your amp is working. all it does is match the input voltage. say your hu sends out a 4v signal at full volume, then you want to set the gain to 4v. simple. thus the .3- to whatever voltage it says. at least that is my understanding...
Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. Anyway, I think he's mistaking the lower numbers for a lower setting on the gain, what do you think?

Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. Anyway, I think he's mistaking the lower numbers for a lower setting on the gain, what do you think?
IDK... I think op should get an oscope and set his gains instead of just turning it randomly...

If you don't trust your amps ratings then measure the output of your sub preouts and set the sensitivity according to what is actually there. My JVC HU has 2.5V preouts and with volume at 65% it only puts out 0.4V so I would be using the lower witch setting.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.