Looking for Passive Crossovers for my Silver Flute 6.5" and Seas Prestige tweeters

$200 for a set of crossovers?

First of all, can you just run active crossovers or try bi-amping? Bi-amping should be quite easy and cheap. Run the Silver Flute woofer without the low pass filter. On axis, the Silver Flute can play flat up to something like 4-5KHz and then decays gradually on its own. Since in a typical car your woofers are off axis, there will be a pretty big dip in frequency response starting at about 2.5KHz (up to -10dB depending on the angle, distance, etc). Use a tweeter with just a single capacitor to create a high pass filter for the tweeter. I normally would not like to use a first order high pass filter on a tweeter, but this one has a pretty low resonance frequency. The resonance frequency of the tweeter is at about 1.1KHz, so I would suggest to start attenuating four octaves above, at about 8-10KHz. This may sound too high, but you should keep in mind that you need a high crossover frequency when using first order filter. According to this crossover design web site, here Crossover Design Chart and Inductance vs. Frequency Calculator(Low-pass), you need a capacitor with value of about 4 to 5uF. I would try this one:

Dayton PMPC-4.7 4.7uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor 027-230

If you don't have an extra set of amplifier channels for the tweeter, hook the tweeter directly to the head unit amplifier with this capacitor soldered in-line, then level match woofers and tweeters and adjust EQ as necessary. If this setup sounds too laid back, then increase the capacitor value, which will reduce the crossover frequency.

This may look crude at first, but this setup will give you more options for tuning than most passives out there.

If you do want to try a more traditional passive crossover box, I suggest that you try one that's bi-amp capable (such as Alpine SPX-PRO or RF T1/T2 crossover boxes), so that you can adjust the level of tweeter and woofer.

Currently I am running 3 way active 2x60 tweets and 2x180 to the mids, with 2x60 left over for the rear speakers that I am adding. Yepp, I'm adding rear fill. (I have rear passengers that can't hear anything but subs). With my 9887 in 3-way active mode you cannot use time alignment front to rear, just left and right. By switching the deck to F/R mode it no longer active but the time alignment will work with my new rear speakers. So now I need passives that match well with my front mids and tweets. Is there a option that will work better than the CDT passive?

i have the silver flute and experimented with running them full range - they did just great. then you just need a tweeter crossover which is much cheaper to buy. Parts Express sells them for pretty cheap (individual crossovers).

if you see my build log you can get an idea of what i did to install them.

what impedance are your tweeters?

i have the silver flute and experimented with running them full range - they did just great. then you just need a tweeter crossover which is much cheaper to buy. Parts Express sells them for pretty cheap (individual crossovers).
if you see my build log you can get an idea of what i did to install them.

what impedance are your tweeters?
I run my Dynaudio MW162's with no LPF. They sound better to me like that.

Just for reference's sake, this is a (pre-EQ) RTA of just my sub to 63hz and midwoofers 80hz and up...

D1165929-2A32-42DE-9659-DF1CAE8C5DF8-1599-000000D18C066D0D.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.