Eclipse 8052 few questions about the iPod Interfaces available

Participant count
  • Participant list
I just obtained an Eclipse 8052 brand new in the box (since 2002!) To replace a 3422 model.

When I went to buy my first Eclipse head unit back in '02 this model ran about $500 or more. I could only afford the $300 model 3422. So it was like going back in time and this time being able to afford it. I don't want to play CD's anymore I want to use an iPod and play WAV files only though it. I have it installed now.

I have seen two that work with this unit online. The IPC-106 and the iSimple. My first question would be - does anyone have any experiences using these units with an Ecipse head unit of my generation? How well does it work? Is one better than the other and do they basically do the same thing?

Will the Eclipse IPC-106 or iSimple iPod adapter for this older unit allow WAV or only MP3 playback through the head unit? And if it will play WAV will it also show the title of the WAV on the display just the same?

Also if anyone knows how to utilize the phone/mute connection on the Ecipse. What would you need to use this with an existing cell phone?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used the CD8454, CD8455, & CD7000 at different times. The CD8454 is from the same time, but I was not using an iPod adapter with it. Out of these three units the CD7000 was the one made to work 100% with the iPC-106. I do have experience with my CD8455 & the iPC-106. There are two modes that you can use it in, Sirius mode or cd changer mode. The Sirius mode was a pain to use at times. You would see the song titles but not the elapsed time. Searching could be done with it but it was not easy. CD changer mode would give you the elapsed time display, but no search function. With both modes you could skip songs, and playlists, but not pause. Even with the CD7000 pausing the song when listening to the iPod was not an option.

I would probably just use it in changer mode or use the auxillary inputs (I think your unit has this). The digital to analog conversion takes place within the iPod first, whether you use the iPC-106 or not.

Edit***

Just looked through the manual. Your unit only supports CD changer mode while using the iPC-106. Probably easier to just pick the playlist you want before hand & them plug in your iPod. That's what I do with my current headunit as it only supports CD changer mode as well.

Thank you for the reply. I got it working and believe me I have wanted get an iPod setup in the car to do exactly this as long as I can remember. However how I realize that I do miss the ability to search. Only because want to be able to dig passed the intro of some tracks then let them play. I would like to know if you can/can't fast forward.

I'll have to look at the IPC manual. Or I'll just have to change units. I just love this one too bad it can't search. I have only WAV files on the iPhone 4 and they sound great.

I've used the CD8454, CD8455, & CD7000 at different times. The CD8454 is from the same time, but I was not using an iPod adapter with it. Out of these three units the CD7000 was the one made to work 100% with the iPC-106. I do have experience with my CD8455 & the iPC-106. There are two modes that you can use it in, Sirius mode or cd changer mode. The Sirius mode was a pain to use at times. You would see the song titles but not the elapsed time. Searching could be done with it but it was not easy. CD changer mode would give you the elapsed time display, but no search function. With both modes you could skip songs, and playlists, but not pause. Even with the CD7000 pausing the song when listening to the iPod was not an option.
I would probably just use it in changer mode or use the auxillary inputs (I think your unit has this). The digital to analog conversion takes place within the iPod first, whether you use the iPC-106 or not.

Edit***

Just looked through the manual. Your unit only supports CD changer mode while using the iPC-106. Probably easier to just pick the playlist you want before hand & them plug in your iPod. That's what I do with my current headunit as it only supports CD changer mode as well.

Yeah doesn't seem possible with this one according to the IPC-106 manual or it simply doesn't seem to explain it very well. I wondered if the iSimple would allow this. It connects through the wire harness I think instead of the LAN ports on the Eclipse Head Unit. Be interesting to find out - can't seem to find that out via google. Or if it will just do the same thing that the IPC-106 does. I think its because my unit doesn't support something called iPod Controller Mode and that might limit me from being able to fast forward, pause etc.

Looking closer at the manual: It looks like according to the manual that if I push the button for DISC 4 (basically number 4 on the buttons below) that selects the search mode (song) I will have fast forward, rewind operation. Right now if I hold the select switch on the volume nob it just goes to the next song. Just haven't tried pushing '4' first before doing that. Ill try that and update.

No problem.
As far as the fast forwarding through tracks. I can't remember if that was possible or not on my CD8455.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.