how to "seal off" the trunk?

ab18vfl
10+ year member

Soon, I'm building a new box, I want to have it firing forward towards the cabin. Due to competition class restrictions, I cant use greatstuff foam and I cant alter any stock parts of the car. What do you guys recommend to "seal" my trunk off with? Possibly pool noodles?

I recommend testing on a TL to see which way is louder. Too many idiots on here say to seal it off, but 99% of them are just repeating what other idiots have posted.

FYI...the loudest trunk vehicles at World Finals were forward firing and NOT sealed off. Only way to tell what is louder is to try it both ways in your vehicle with your set up

I hope you're not being serious, but I'm sure you are....
im talking about the gaps between the box and my trunk wall. im trying to figure out what to wedge between those gaps to keep the airflow and bass in my cabin

im talking about the gaps between the box and my trunk wall. im trying to figure out what to wedge between those gaps to keep the airflow and bass in my cabin
I know exactly what you're talking about. You need to test to see if it's louder unsealed or sealed off.

MDF and duct tape work just fine if you find that sealing it off is louder...

I know exactly what you're talking about. You need to test to see if it's louder unsealed or sealed off.
MDF and duct tape work just fine if you find that sealing it off is louder...
ive done a ton of testing and i cant break a 140 with the seats on.

nobody ever mentioned duct tape, that just sounds...genius

ive done a ton of testing and i cant break a 140 with the seats on.
nobody ever mentioned duct tape, that just sounds...genius
I did a 54.9 out of the trunk...NOT sealed off

Duct tape = simple //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

How about using some vinyl? Mass loaded? or use something like acoustic wood with some rubber seals around the edges and wedge them in there. The cuts would have to be really good though.

You could use a laminate faced Mdf and carpet it too. The Laminet would make the Mdf similar to grassing it. But without cheating

Gorilla tape seems like your only option... or metal flasking tape is what I've used before.. 2x4's also work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.