Advice please...Change enclosure or complete sub setup?

nagy178
10+ year member

Hey Guys,

I currently have a Polk 10" MM1040 in a .6cuft sealed box (manufacturer suggested). I am not too happy with it. It seems to play the upper 40's and 50's ok but can't get low or handle much variety in music type. I have it downfiring in my Jeep. A couple years back I had a single sealed MTX7500 12" that was the best sub set up I have had in a Jeep running off the same amp.

My question is should I try a different enclosure for my existing Polk 10" or just go back to a quality 12"??

If I should go with the 12" what suggestions do you have that would compare to or blow away the MTX7500 without breaking the bank?

Amp= MTX 801D monoblock (500x1 @ 2ohm 12.5v, 800x1 @ 2ohm Dynamic 14.4v)

Enclosure Type: have had sealed for awhile now but open to other types

Enclosure Shape/Size: Triangular/Wedge from 1.25-2.0cuft gross airspace

Thanks in advance for the help.

ditch the polk, get a 15" dvc 4ohm and make sealed box if you need small space. lots of 600 watts subs, from Skar, Sundown, Obsidian, PSI etc

If you are ok with output but just not the response, then an enclosure alteration can get you want you need. You can even try and put some poly-fill in the enclosure to see if that helps with the response some.

If you switch to a 12, there are littler tons of options out there that will all perform very well in your application.

i don't think i could fit a 15" dimension wise. enclosure specs would be this (27Wx15Hx12D1-topx15D2bottom) MAX.
If you cannot fit a 15" at least do a 12" good luck

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

i don't think i could fit a 15" dimension wise. enclosure specs would be this (27Wx15Hx12D1-topx15D2bottom) MAX.
If you cannot fit a 15" at least do a 12" good luck

If you are ok with output but just not the response, then an enclosure alteration can get you want you need. You can even try and put some poly-fill in the enclosure to see if that helps with the response some.
Now that you mention it...I think output is the underlying problem that I have. I keep comparing it to the 12" MTX7500 which I was very happy with and it falls short. It is missing something...that right amount of oommff if you will. I just did not want to waste the money if the POLK 10" could have performed as well in the right enclosure.

I bet you would be amazed if you put your existing 10" in a nice tuned ported enclosure....It could very well wake that puppy up and make it realize that it's a sub...If you stick with that 10" or even upgrade to a better 10" it wouldn't take up a lot more space...I recently put two AB DX 10s in a 2011 Jeep rear firing and suspended off of the floor so his tops would lay down under it and they were simply amazing fed by an Mtx 500 watt mini mono....

I bet you would be amazed if you put your existing 10" in a nice tuned ported enclosure....It could very well wake that puppy up and make it realize that it's a sub...If you stick with that 10" or even upgrade to a better 10" it wouldn't take up a lot more space...I recently put two AB DX 10s in a 2011 Jeep rear firing and suspended off of the floor so his tops would lay down under it and they were simply amazing fed by an Mtx 500 watt mini mono....
Was that in a 2dr Jeep behind the seat?? That is a lot of my problem...no space, but there has to be a way to get something decent in there.

No it was a 4 door........pm me your dimensions and i will see what can be done.....that Polk 10" you have will do fine in a 1 cube net or better.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.