whats the big craze with pa drivers?

vain mccain
10+ year member

atlanta
I've been out of the car audio game for awhile and I've noticed that a lot of companies are building pa.speakers for car audio. Do these systems actually sound good or are they just balls to wall loud? This has definitely sparked an interest because I listen to mostly metal. I like my tunes loud but I don't want all SPL and zero sq. What are some drivers to be used in a 2-way from stage? I'll be using a leviathan to power my front stage. I'd like to keep the mids under $200 A piece.

Depends on what u feel sounds good. I've heard SOME PA setups that are atleast clear enough to have easily recognizable vocals but I have yet to hear one that really pics up those dynamic points in the song very well.....stuff like instruments and subtle background noises are there but not nearly as clean as when using more "SQ oriented drivers". It almost seems like they just pick up the voice and forget about the rest of the music.

With that kind of power and budget, you could get some nice raw drivers from partsexpress or madisound that will get plenty loud and sound better.

Morel comes to mind Woofers in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 15 - 121

Also Peerless makes some nice woofers and I know from experience that they will take waaaay more than rated.

I think the main reason people are using them a lot is because car audio highs can't keep up with most bass set ups now a days. I have the high end boston pros in my car and they sound great, but once I put some heavy bass on they sound like a faint background noise.

I think the main reason people are using them a lot is because car audio highs can't keep up with most bass set ups now a days. I have the high end boston pros in my car and they sound great, but once I put some heavy bass on they sound like a faint background noise.
Mine keep up, most people are just to cheap to get something good. They spend stupid amounts of $$ on a sub stage then want $20 tweeters

There are trade offs when looking at speakers, with pro audio you give up low end for high sensitivity.. Which in most cases won't matter because most of the people who understand the trade off can compensate with it. Now personally I don't understand why people think they need 5 super tweeters and 10 mids. I run the Rockford Fosgate pro audio and personally after some processing and some tweaking they are my favorite set of speakers to date.

There are trade offs when looking at speakers, with pro audio you give up low end for high sensitivity.. Which in most cases won't matter because most of the people who understand the trade off can compensate with it. Now personally I don't understand why people think they need 5 super tweeters and 10 mids. I run the Rockford Fosgate pro audio and personally after some processing and some tweaking they are my favorite set of speakers to date.
If you are talking about the same kind of people I have around my area, they get 10 sets cause it takes 10 sets of junk to equal two sets of good in the right install. The money they spent buying crap they could of done better buying good and installing it right with better results. Distorted crap is the new loud if you didn't know

I run Fosgate pro tweeters they are loud and clear i love them just got to tame them a little bet as said before it's about keeping up with the sub stage and it's trail and error on what sounds good to you. The fosgates are not cheap but worth it. I don't think i would go pro on anything else but tweets, That's me though. I did use some pro 21" ers in the ride for fun and it sounded good. Very musical, I'm thinking about putting them back in 2day for a little.

I find a ton of systems around this area (Lansing) have pounding subs and stock 1980's surrounds. Found in a 1980 olds 88... Complete crap unless you like pounding with zero everything else. I have been successful buying separates and installing them on a plate or bracket. Whatever the size is your trying to fill. I have a 91 camaro and installed new 6x9 plates or cut outs and installed new mids and tweets on the mounting bracket, Then using crossovers. Sounds pretty decent for daily. At least you could hear everything.

Sorry for off topic....

Avoid PA drivers. Leviathan has a lot of power and will eat many components even @4 ohm, don't cheap out or if you do, buy with warranty that covers burned voice coils

Avoid PA drivers. Leviathan has a lot of power and will eat many components even @4 ohm, don't cheap out or if you do, buy with warranty that covers burned voice coils
You can get PA mids with a 4" VC and 1000+ RMS rating, bring on that ZED //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

I have heard PA speakers about 3 times this summer. All were in what I would call SPL cars and the owners wanted loud as ****. Not one sounded that great, but all could fill a parking lot and kept up with the sub stage. Not my cup of tea, but if you are tying to rock a block they work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.