Basic Questions About Sub System

Mr Jaderman

Hey all,

I just bought 2 Pioneer 12" 400W nominal power, 1400W max power DVC drivers. I was wondering if I hook the drivers up in series do I get 800W and then need a 800W amp? Or they both would still be 400W? Also, since its dvc, I can wire it up as 1 ohm or 4 ohm, whats ideal? Or does that just give me more flexibility in choosing an amp?

Thanks in advance!

Speakers don't have Watts, they take in Watts. If you have 2 400watt subs, then yes to power them you'd want 800watts. Go for 1 ohm.

Look for an amp that does 800-1000 Watts RMS at 1 ohm. Don't even look at peak. Peak is for advertising.

the lower the impedance the more stress on the amplifier and the your electrical system, but it is easier to produce power at lower impedances. As long as you dont go below the recommended impedance of the amp, you're fine. Also distortion is greater at lower impedances but you will more than likely not be able to hear a difference in terms of sub stage

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.