Something is going bad in my audio setup

rondog
10+ year member

I've had this stereo installed about 3 years ago. It's all been fine till now. I have 2 Polk Momo amps...a 4 channel for 4 speakers and 2 tweeters. The other amp powers my 2 10" subs.

The subs are fine. I am having an issue with my speakers.

The two rear speakers sound distorted..all scratchy as if they were blown. I removed the door cover and un hooked the speaker and plugged a new one in and same thing. I then checked the fuse going to the amp. It had some fouling inside so I replaced it with a new one. Same thing..still distorted.

I noticed that my pioneer HU is now making a "clicking" noise through the speakers when I adjust the volume. It has never done this. Is it possible the HU is causing the distortion? I would hate for the amp to be the cause of the problem.

Its your ears, change them and you'll see great results.

For real tho it sounds like a HU problem or a wiring problem to the speaker, or RCA's if the speakers are amped.

make sure the rca's are making a tight connection at the amp and the back of the head unit. Also are you running a set of 4 channel rcas to the 4ch amp?

They are tight at the amp, I'll check if they are tight behind the head unit when I get home. I am running a set of 4 channel RCAs to the 4ch amp. This is my setup

1.JPG

yeah I figured it out when first I tried a new RCA cable going straight from the deck to the head unit and it still sounded bad, so that ruled out a bad cable. Then I plugged the front speakers into the rear from the head unit and determined whatever was plugged into the rear pre outs of the HU didn't work.

Now I actually do have one bad speaker. My front passenger speaker hasn't been making any sound so I removed that door panel and plugged my ole living room speaker into the wiring and viola, sound came out

what is a ground loop? How would I ground my head unit?
alternator wine,that "clicking" noise,its all a ground loop,a ground loop is an unwanted current connecting two points that are supposed to be at the same potential,but is using different potential instead of just one potential.i used one of the screws on the HU just wrapped the bare wire around it and plugged the rca into one of the rca jacks i wasnt using.im only using the rear and sub rca's so i used one of the front jacks to ground the HU

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.