what does dynamic power mean?

i had it explained to me this way: RMS power is constant. say you are listening to a rap song with a constant 40hz bass tone. at max output the amp can give 500W to reproduce that 40hz tone.

"dynamic" power is more or less what the amp can do for a burst. say you are listening to a movie, and you have the amp at max power, its giving you 500W of power reproducing conversation, general background noise, and whatnot. then a building falls, a gunfight starts, and **** starts blowing up at the same time on top of the conversation, background noise and blah blah. since you already had your amp at max output one of 3 things happen, the amp "protects" or it pushes the extra power needed to reproduce all of that extra noise for a few seconds, or it goes up in smoke.

when u are buying an amp, always look ar RMS power. ignore "MAX!!!!" or "dynamic" power ratings. they can be very eaisely fudged.

Matt

i had it explained to me this way: RMS power is constant. say you are listening to a rap song with a constant 40hz bass tone. at max output the amp can give 500W to reproduce that 40hz tone.
"dynamic" power is more or less what the amp can do for a burst. say you are listening to a movie, and you have the amp at max power, its giving you 500W of power reproducing conversation, general background noise, and whatnot. then a building falls, a gunfight starts, and **** starts blowing up at the same time on top of the conversation, background noise and blah blah. since you already had your amp at max output one of 3 things happen, the amp "protects" or it pushes the extra power needed to reproduce all of that extra noise for a few seconds, or it goes up in smoke.

when u are buying an amp, always look ar RMS power. ignore "MAX!!!!" or "dynamic" power ratings. they can be very eaisely fudged.

Matt
Bold is correct. The example you gave about the amplifier power during the movie was not so accurate. There's no way an amp is pushing 500W for dialogue. Peak power, or anything over RMS or where you set your gains to, will not been seen for a duration of seconds unless you are causing some type of distortion or clipping. We're talking milliseconds. The burp guys should know more about that than me though, they run their amps on the edge.

its not a "perfect" example. but then again even if u have your HU volume maxed on a bass heavy song. there is a high probobility that if you clamped your amps output, it would not be "RMS" the only way to actually run RMS power from an amp(or more for that matter) is to use a single tone(well, not exactly, but meh).

but the movie example is fairly accurate if you ignore the obvious flaws.

Matt

what does an amp mean when it says dynamic power it says it after rms power to me it seems that it would be the power straped to another amp because most of the time it says twice what the rms is???
as it has been attempted to explain, you can pretty much ignore max, or peak ratings...RMS is what counts. Some amps are designed to produce more output than rated, and it is a desirable attribute when shopping....take the Orion XTR1500D for example...it is actually capable of producing over 1900 clean, unclipped watts rms at 1 ohm, which is desirable to efficiently and cleanly handle the transient peaks inherent to music.

its not a "perfect" example. but then again even if u have your HU volume maxed on a bass heavy song. there is a high probobility that if you clamped your amps output, it would not be "RMS" the only way to actually run RMS power from an amp(or more for that matter) is to use a single tone(well, not exactly, but meh).
but the movie example is fairly accurate if you ignore the obvious flaws.

Matt
Tis true, music is dynamic. But we set gains with a clean tone for the highest output without clipping at a given frequency. So, yeah it's possible to be over RMS on musical peaks, but there will be some clipping present of varying degrees, which we try to stay away from.

OP, if you are asking this question, bottom line is to not pay attention to peak ratings, only RMS ratings.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.