Small Block Chevy 305 Starter Wiring Help

Donks
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
CO, Ohio
finally found the culprit of why my car wouldnt start after hours of diagnostics. so i replace the starter with a new one from O'reilly's and put all the cables back into place the same way i dissasembled them but now i dont even get a response. i dont understand - the power, radio, dash lights and everything works but when i turn key i get nothing. i did a lot of reasearch and still stumped. but i did notice that my starter wiring has an extra wire on the POS bolt.

the picture below is identical to my setup except i have a extra wire on Positive bolt

it has 2 little wires together, 1 extra wire (idk what is) and the big battery cable on one the POS bolt and 1 purple ignition wire on the smaller bolt. looks just like the picture below exect i have some extra wire on the big bolt that was already there from previous owner or stock i guess idk. but i put everything back like i took it off and now i get no luck. what do you guys suggest. i was thinking of making a small jumper wire just to test it and make sure starter is good. but i mean its brand spankin new lol..should fire up.

starterr.jpg

i got it you guys..it just had the purple ignition wire on the wrong bolt..i didnt see that there were 2 bolts other than the huge battery bolt. strange because the picture above also seems to be hiding that bolt but if you look close you can clearly see it...but anywho now im cruising. i also replaced my alternator today because it went bad. but thanks for all your input you guys. next time ill pay CLOSE attention to wiring before i just bolt it up and feel for success

dude just get a chilton manual, they're great for future problems like this
LOL. I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when i read this.

Chiltons are only good for toilet paper.

Let me some up a chilton..."Disassemble...now reassemble." they are full of generic photos usually not even pertaining to your engine model.

Too bad Bentley doesn't make manuals for american cars. I have a Bentley for my Jetta. That book is the single most useful tool I own. It has everything.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.