Thinking of building a new sub

hispls
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Considering tearing down one of my 15" ceramic sigs to make a 10" with it. I don't know what I'd possibly do with it, but it's something I've wanted to mess with. Not sure what coil or suspension I'd even use, but I kind of want to do it just to see what it looks like.

Discuss.

do 3 mediums phat surround watch that bish move
Surrounds are pretty wide on the old stock Shocker 10" cones.

that would be nasty. but i feel like the surround will limit the motors abilities. correct me if im wrong. unless you have a nice tall basket.
All the 12 spoke baskets generally limit when the spider hits the top plate. I suspect I could space it up for a little more rearward stroke, but with a coil long enough to keep the gap full you'll actually find bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
DSC03451.jpg

Not sure if this is a good idea....

Tough choice which dustcap to go with. I have a few unique small carbon fiber caps, some prototype Shocker dustcaps, older Sundown caps, a couple Kove Armageddon caps, and a few others. I really like the large Shocker cap or the RF HX2 cap:

DSC03460.jpg

DSC03459.jpg

Opted for the concave carbon fiber/kevlar one. It's very solid and I trimmed it up to fit nice with the edge of the surround. Actually I was having second thoughts of the low MMS from the Aluminum coil...

DSC03458.jpg

* f(s)= 47.78 Hz

* R(e)= 5.35 Ohms

* Z(max)= 37.11 Ohms

* Q(ms)= 3.095

* Q(es)= 0.521

* Q(ts)= 0.446

* V(as)= 11.040 liters (0.390 cubic feet)

* L(e)= 3.57 mH

* n(0)= 0.22 %

* SPL= 85.53 1W/1m

* M(ms)= 189.30 grams

* C(ms)= 0.06 mm/N

* BL= 24.15

Has decent potential for SPL and could be made to play down into mid to high 30's relatively flat with some 50-55hz cabin gain working for you.

Got your neos and now you don't know how to act...
Lol, looks awesome. Just save a motor for me. :)
Was trying to break the 12" neo to do something else with. Once I get my alternator back in I'll try to break some 15's. I'm trying to free up some neo motors to play with.... I wasn't impressed with the cosmetics of the parts on this ceramic so I tore that one down. Can probably recycle the coil with an acetone bath, so a minor loss in parts.

That looks like it will be fun to mount lol
Won't be terribly practical I think. Inverse mounting should work and be good for some laughs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

hispls

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
hispls
Central Maine
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date