Sealed 12 or ported 10

DUAL10S
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
TX
Haven't been on the forum for a while.

Got a new 12 ram express single cab (let the quad cab go). Anyway......

Got the space for 35w x 16 h x 7.5 d box. Looking to do a single ported 10 or sealed 12. After displacement I should have ~1.5 cubes.

Considering the Q's or XCON 's (with spacer ring for mounting depth). The box will be behind drivers seat and amp behind passenger seat. Looking at the crescendo bc2000d for power. Start with 2 ohm @ 1100 wrms then maybe try it at 1 ohm, may be a bit much though. Can't not try it for the price though.

Did a quick sketch and think I can put the port out the passenger side of the box with the 10.

Slot port (3" x 5.5" x 31.25" @ 29hz) sound right?

Any thoughts?

I love the response of ported enclosures in reg cabs if done correctly.

With the said, I of course would do a single 10 ported.

Honestly, both options should work out pretty decently.

How much air space?
~1.5 after displacement.

I would like to try the 10 ported. Was looking at the side port because the port would be easy when building the box. Both subs recommend 27 to 34 hz and 29hz is where the port length ended up where I wouldn't have to make a turn (just 1 straight port).

What should I be tuning to? I have to stay with the 5.5" wide port (Box depth).

Definitely ported 10! XCON or FI Q both get the job done, and just set the gain to match their RMS. And I guess I will say what everyone else is saying.. don't tune that low. Here is my regular cab box tuned to 33:

Definitely ported 10! XCON or FI Q both get the job done, and just set the gain to match their RMS. And I guess I will say what everyone else is saying.. don't tune that low. Here is my regular cab box tuned to 33:

That's pretty nice.

Can't see the flex but with that 4.125 on the front and can't even hear the front stage when it hits, that's pretty loud.

I just checked and I still have my 4.125 and a older z1000d I may clean up and put to use. These amps didn't seem that big in my quad cab and can barely find a spot for them in the single cab. Either way will save me about 400 bucks.

So, yea ill figure for 33hz and post what I come up with.

Oh yea, where is your port at.

Refigured and had to add 3/4 to the height. So new dimensions are 35w x 16.75h x 7.5d.

I used the12volt.com so if this is not correct please let me know.

Port is 5.5" x 4.125" x 30.75" @ 33hz. Went up to 1.62 cubes after displacement.

Sub will be right in the bottom of the box, only have 9.5" between port wall and bottom of the box. Cut out is 9 1/4" so gonna be close.

Does it matter where the sub is mounted in relation to the port opening inside the box. Was gonna mount on the left side of box and internal port opening will be on the right with the external port opening on the left side above the sub.

Or just mount on the right side just below the internal port opening.

My sub is facing forward into the passenger's seat and the port is side firing on the opposite side into the driver's side b-pillar. You don't want the sub and port on the same side, or at least, I don't think you do. I think some people say the sub is better behind the driver's seat w/ the port side firing into the passenger's b-pillar, but my configuration seems to work fine.

Also, I don't know if you're making your box 1.62 cubic feet, but that is too big. I wouldn't go bigger than 1.5 ft^3. For port area, I think I have 14 square inches per cube, so I have 21 square inches total. To be honest, I would probably up the port area and tune to 35 if I could do it over again.

If you have 1.62cu.ft, you could make a DC 12" work. Not sure what other 12's like low air space, but I know those do. Food for thought.

Edit: Nevermind, just seen you only have 9.5".

Yeah, I agree with gckless. I don't know how much you like bass, but I would try to squeeze out as much airspace as possible and consider doing a 12 or 2 10s or maybe even 2 8s. If you can fit 2 cubes, 2 SA-10s would be awesome.

Bass? Yea all I listen to is rap and dub-step, so the more the better.

I remeasured again and if I drop the height to 13" I can get 10" depth. Also I have to cut the width to 34", I missed that earlier.

So that should give me 1.83 cubes gross which will work for a 10 ported and possibly a 12 ported. Will do the normal slot port out the front of the box. May just have to pay for the plans so I know it's done right after I decide on a sub.

Leaning toward the XCON and gonna do 1k rms until that amp won't amp anymore.

What about PSI subs?

[quote name='DUAL10S']Bass? Yea all I listen to is rap and dub-step, so the more the better.

I remeasured again and if I drop the height to 13" I can get 10" depth. Also I have to cut the width to 34", I missed that earlier.

So that should give me 1.83 cubes gross which will work for a 10 ported and possibly a 12 ported. Will do the normal slot port out the front of the box. May just have to pay for the plans so I know it's done right after I decide on a sub.

Leaning toward the XCON and gonna do 1k rms until that amp won't amp anymore.

What about PSI subs?[/QUOTE]

For a 12", I think DC would be the way to go for that little of airspace. Maybe someone else that knows more subs can chime in, but I think most 12's like more airspace. But you can sink just about any 10" in there happily.

And PSI can build you just about anything. Just email them and see what they can do. Or PM @SPLaudio ; and see what he can do for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.