Magnetic shielding properties of MDF

Participant count
  • Participant list

02dodgeram
10+ year member

DFW
I'm planning out an IB system for the trunk of my new car. The idea is to build a center pillar floating amp rack with 2 subs on the sides firing into the cabin. So the subs are about 6" deep and they'll be running up to maybe 700 watts RMS at the absolute most. The amps won't fit in between them once I plug in RCAs and power/ground wiring. Looking into the trunk from behind the car, the amp rack will float in about the center and I'm trying to figure out how far toward the rear of the vehicle I need to bring them to avoid magnetic interference potentially frying my amps. I'm trying to minimize the trunk space this system takes up.

So this brings me to my question. Will a single layer of 5/8" or 3/4" MDF with non-magnetic screws (or maybe just glue and fiberglass reinforcement) be enough to shield my amps if I wanted to have them sit pretty close to the magnets on these subs?

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

IBsetup.png

Using a little paper clip chain I can say that the magnetic field only really kicks in within about 1.5-2", but I'm going to be mounting a brand new Zed Leviathan III in this amp rack. I really don't want to fry it. The amps would be fully enclosed on all 4 sides with venting to the top for heat (both amps are class D and run very cool).

MDF WITH SOME LEAD SHEET APPLIED OVER IT THEN COVERED IN A PAINT TO AVOID LEAD EXPOSURE IN THE FUTURE BUT MDF ALONE IS NOT ENOUGH. sorry for the caps the lock has on and I hunt and peck to type.

Can the lead be applied on the inside of the MDF "cage"? What other materials would work well for this? Would aluminum foil work? I ask because I could line the interior with sound deadener. I may be doing some LEDs or neons inside the amp cage anyway, so a reflective surface might look good if I can find one without a bunch of logos all over it.

Magnetic fields can only be blocked by iron. The best magnetic shielding material is called mumetal (a nickel-iron alloy). But the steel cases of your amps should be enough, I wouldn't worry.

Magnetic fields can only be blocked by iron. The best magnetic shielding material is called mumetal (a nickel-iron alloy). But the steel cases of your amps should be enough, I wouldn't worry.[/quote I make the **** you need.. it's a 2 part epoxy based coating. We sell it as MGF..It's a e nickel and tabular alumimum based coating.. it cant be sprayed.. It needs to be trowel or brush coated but it smoothes out real pretty.. let me know if yo want some.. BTW, all my Co. coatings are used by Nuclear, and conventional power plants. This ain't Rustoleum bro.. It ain't cheap either, but for ur app I'll throw it to ya for shipping cost + $50.. pm me if you want it.

^^^ wow, that's nice. i, personally wouldn't have worried that much about it, as long as a potentially receiving part of amp is near the motor. you can also use 90 degree rca ends, if that is what's stopping you from being able to slide the amps further down. biggest thing i worry about is vibration, and the rca signal

90* RCAs might help a little for other reasons, but it's the forward/backward dimension that I'm concerned about. I'm thinking that the magnet to amp distance will be somewhere between 4-6" with 3/4" MDF separating the two, plus some sort of shielding. Here's another pic illustrating what's going on. It's from the top down. The amp section at the bottom plugs into the top:

IBsetup2.png

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

02dodgeram

10+ year member
02dodgeram
DFW
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from