Not happy with my sundown sa15

ArrizX
10+ year member

Scout 800 owner.
So I just built a box that is 4.5 gross before sub, port and braces. I put it around 4 cubes net. Single 6" aero port tuned to 27. Rockford P500-1 powering it at 1ohm.

Sounds great when the volume is low but it sounds like crap up high. Its like I cant make the settings go low enough for tuning. Should I tune it higher? In the 33ish range. I listen to alot of dubstep/trance/progressive/dance type music. Think Cazette/Kaskade/Deadmau5/Kito & Rita Lee but also listen to music such as Rhianna/Eminem/Tech 9/Young Jeezy...... Rock such as Drowning pool/chevelle/theory of a dead man/Seether......

Anyways it all sounds great and I have a bass knob to adjust it per song but anything over 75% it sounds like crap. My last box that was like 2.5cubes ported way high with a slot port sounded way better at volume but not as good lower.

Whats going on? Tune higher? smaller box? **** it and get a better sub? I shouldnt need a better sub when I am only putting like 600 watts too it.

at about 12"^2 per ft, you are pretty much tuning more for a wider response than spl. this, is from what i remeber about aeroports back in the day, and calculated it as a standard 8"round port. if i'm mistaken here, then the smaller it calculates as, the less spl tuned it is. i bet it gets real loud down low, with the tuning, and sounds like poo, for what you primarily listen to. calculate exact volume, and then the tuning, might find that you are off a little. i would have to agree, that your tase will make you much happier in the 33-36hz range to get your electronica bass back, and not loose out on the low notes. more port area should get you some more db, as well. i normally tune my own enclosures in 33-34hz range, but go after 16" or better port area per cu-ft. this, makes some sacrifice in range, but i can just hang with the beats and such, while digging way down

Well you only have it on 500 watts, which isn't very much at all. I've never been a fan of bass knobs, does it control the gain, or the bass boost?

If it controls the gain, what was the position when you set the gain? Are you certain your gain is set correctly?

3.5 after displacement at 35 might yield better results?
Might want to give Mobile Enclosures a shout about a box...
I dunno maybe?

at about 12"^2 per ft, you are pretty much tuning more for a wider response than spl. this, is from what i remeber about aeroports back in the day, and calculated it as a standard 8"round port. if i'm mistaken here, then the smaller it calculates as, the less spl tuned it is. i bet it gets real loud down low, with the tuning, and sounds like poo, for what you primarily listen to. calculate exact volume, and then the tuning, might find that you are off a little. i would have to agree, that your tase will make you much happier in the 33-36hz range to get your electronica bass back, and not loose out on the low notes. more port area should get you some more db, as well. i normally tune my own enclosures in 33-34hz range, but go after 16" or better port area per cu-ft. this, makes some sacrifice in range, but i can just hang with the beats and such, while digging way down
Sounds great loud and low. Anything that isnt really low though sounds like poo. I can hear more sub than bass if that makes sense. I want to say like it sounds like I have maxed the mechanical limits of the sub like it is bottoming out and just doesnt want to make the right noises for me lol

Well you only have it on 500 watts, which isn't very much at all. I've never been a fan of bass knobs, does it control the gain, or the bass boost?If it controls the gain, what was the position when you set the gain? Are you certain your gain is set correctly?
No but from what ive been told and understand the bigger the box the less wattage you need because of less air resistance right? Anyways my amp is probably more like 600 or 650 watts I forgot waht the birthsheet said. But its right around RMS for my sub.

Bigger and better things may suit you...
Now was that a gay joke //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

Well start with ur box is too big and tuned wayy to low and no a sa 15 is bot gona sound great on 500 watts...try a new box and at least double the power
Why would I double the power when RMS what my amp is? Like I said above it sounds like I am bottoming out or something too when it gets way loud. I wish I could explain it better

So I didnt actually build my box I just stood there and watched because my arm is casted right now due to awesome failure at dirt biking. Looks like it came out a little larger than planned at 4.70 cubes gross //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Can I still work with that and just change the tuning? What should I change it to for my sized box

Yea but that 600 rms is horribly underrated and the box is tuned way to low for a SA. but yes usually when underpowering a sub bigger box can help
Hmmm ok so give me a tuning number and ill change it tomorrow. ive been given a few ranges but ill be the first so say I have no ******* clue and am no good at this.

Someone also asked if my gain was set right. No it was set by me and i dont know what to really do I was pretty conservative with it. and the knob is for the bass boost. I set the sub where I like i with the knob in the middle so I can adjust up or down per song.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ArrizX

10+ year member
Scout 800 owner.
ArrizX
Somewhere drinking moutain dew...
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date