box build: double kerfed port for an Orion HCCA

Flastrongman
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ft Myers FL
Local box build I'm doing for an Orion HCCA 15".

IMG_20121009_150245.jpg

IMG_20121009_150303.jpg

IMG_20121012_105037.jpg

How would you cut it wrong? Do you have to cut it different than MDF? Or maybe just be more precise.
The biggest determining factor in whether or not wood will break while kerfing is dependent on how much wood you cut when doing the kerfs. The less of it you cut (shallow) the higher chance of the wood splitting. When you first bend the kerf you'll be able to tell if it will snap or not (easy to know if your cuts are too shallow)

Can't wait to see this box finished...gonna be awesome. I am doing a kerfed build too.. When you carpet the wood surrounding the kerf do you do a slot with the router to tuck the carpet into? Keep up the good work.

Just curious, why not make the dual port center section out of one piece?
Looks like a fun build though.
Too difficult to handle a long piece like that, especially if you don't have an extension on your table saw that allows for such a wide piece. Plus, this is stronger

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.