accidently hooked ground and power up backwards

Babykinns
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
i know a lot of you will probably laff at me but i accidently hooked the ground and power wire up backwards on my scosche efx 1000watt 4 channel amp bcuz i wasnt payin attention when i put the fuse in the power cord it sparked so i checked the wires and realized what i did then took the fuse out and hooked it up right then my subs hit once and the amp went into protect mode and now thats all it does any advice or info of whats wrong and whether my amp is burned up or not would be very greatly appreciated

its powered with a 4 gauge power and 8 gauge ground

these are the specs for the amp

65 Watts x 2 Ch (Front) & 110 Watts x 2 Ch

(Rear) RMS Output Power (@ 0.09% THD

from 20 Hz ~20 kHz into 4 Ohms)

85 Watts x 2 Ch (Front) & 140 Watts x 2 Ch

(Rear) RMS Output Power (2 Ohm)

? 170 Watts Bridged (Front) & 280 Watts

Bridged (Rear) RMS Output Power (4 Ohm)

1250 Watts Total Maximum Output Power

Low Impendence 2 Ohm Load Capability

(Stereo only)

Bridgeable - 2/3/4 Channels

Multi-Mode Capability

Adjustable High Pass/ Low Pass Electronic

Crossover (40Hz ~400Hz)

Adjustable Bass Boost (0~ + 12dB @ 45Hz)

Line Level & Speaker Level Inputs

Soft Start Turn-on/off

Over Heating & Short Circuit Protection

Adjustable Gain Control (200mv ~ 6 Volts)

MOSFET Power Switching Transistors

Frequency Response............... 20 Hz~20 kHz +- 0.5 dB

Signal to Noise Ratio .......................................... Greater than 98dB

THD + Noise ....................................................... Less then .09% from 20 Hz~20 kHz into 4 ohms

Bass Boost ..........................................................0~12 dB @ 45Hz

Electronic Crossover ........................................... 12 dB/oct. 40Hz~400Hz

Speaker Load Impedance ..................................2~4 ohms in stereo mode

Power Input Voltage ............................................ 14.4 VDC (10.8~15.6 VDC allowable)

SA4004 Dimensions ............................................ 2-7/16” x 10” x 13”

SA6004 Dimensions ............................................ 2-7/16” x 10” x 15-9/16”

Some of the better amps have protection against that, but some of the lesser ones don't. You're going to want to open that up and look for any burn marks or something that looks awry. You're sure nothing else is wired wrong?

was no smoke at all no burnt smell havent opened it up yet tho has a 80 amp fuse between the power wire and amp and a 35 amp+ a 25 amp in the amp itself

was no smoke at all no burnt smell havent opened it up yet tho has a 80 amp fuse between the power wire and amp and a 35 amp+ a 25 amp in the amp itself
Oh, those small fuses definitely should have blown first. What size wire?

4 gauge power 8 gauge ground
You're going to want the same size power and ground wires.

they may have been under stress when you wired them wrong and when powered back up just blew
^^^This. Go back and re-check everything. If you find no fuses blown, and you're sure the wiring is done right, open that amp up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.