Jl 12w3v3 Box

Participant count
  • Participant list

Demon73
10+ year member

I have 2 12" W3s. Built box per specs and a little disappointed. Box is 1.75 tuned to 30hz. My question is there a better sized box and tune to make these sub kill it or did I waste my money! Any info will help and some type of plan would be great thanks!

What do you feel is lacking in their performance? Also, post up the specs on the enclosure you built. Like the HxWxD of the enclosure, HxW of the port and how ling it is. Also what wood and thickness was used.

The external dimensions 29"w 14"h 12.75d and the slotted port is 1.5w 13.5h 24l. The nox is made with 3/4 ply(it was free). If it would sound that much better with MDF then I'm willing to drop $30 to get it. Just want to make sure there's not a better set up for these subs that I could build. Thanks!

That enclosure is only 1.4 cf net tuned near 36hz with two 12s in it....no wonder you don't like it!!!....thats not big enough for one 12 must less two......build a new box twice that size and you will like it a lot better!!!!!

...built to spec? Sounds like you built a box for 1 woofer and put 2 in it...

Also, use MDF (at least 3/4") - plywood is too flimsy, leaky, and lacking in density for a good enclosure.

That enclosure is only 1.4 cf net tuned near 36hz with two 12s in it....no wonder you don't like it!!!....thats not big enough for one 12 must less two......build a new box twice that size and you will like it a lot better!!!!!

Forgot to state that was per chamber. So the box is 58"w. Any suggestionsD on a better size? L/H/D and porting. I don't want to go out and buy one I like the build and to learn about what i'm doing. Thanks for any info!

It's an 84 VW Vanagon 59" wide in back. Built the box to the detentions in the booklet that came with the subs. It sounds pretty good maybe just need to go with the MDF. There are two ports 1 for each chamber. Ports are on the ends facing foreword same as the subs. They are being powered by a brz 1700w Hifonics amp ran at 2 ohm. So they should be getting about 1200w for the 2 of them. The problem is when I play above 1/2 the bass seams to get distorted. Gain on the amp is below half way. Thanks!

MDF would definitely help with the overall sound quality (again because of the greater wood density and being more air tight) - though the dimensions your working with still sound a bit wonky, as for the distortion, could be several factors - but to clarify, the amp gain is not a volume knob. Blindly setting it to half does not mean the amp is gonna do half power. It needs to be set uniquely for your headunit. It's a multiplier that controls how much input voltage it takes for the amp to produce full power.

It's an 84 VW Vanagon 59" wide in back. Built the box to the detentions in the booklet that came with the subs. It sounds pretty good maybe just need to go with the MDF. There are two ports 1 for each chamber. Ports are on the ends facing foreword same as the subs. They are being powered by a brz 1700w Hifonics amp ran at 2 ohm. So they should be getting about 1200w for the 2 of them. The problem is when I play above 1/2 the bass seams to get distorted. Gain on the amp is below half way. Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.