ordered system for my 02 single cab Ram 1500 =)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Smitty

Banned
NC
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X995

Image Dynamics CXS-65 v2

Sundown Audio SA8 v2

JL Audio HD 900/5 (bridged feeding ID's 200w per side & 500w to the SA8 v2)

Knukonceptz Kolossus Flex 1/0

Knukonceptz RCA, 12awg, & 16awg

40sq ft Alpha Mat

25sq ft closed cell foam

stock 136A alternator

Interstate battery (appx. 950CCA)

everything is new, refurbished, or b-stock..... $1,150

A few questions....

Should I upgrade my battery or add a second battery? My truck already has a spare battery tray on the passenger side (factory location for diesel models) so it would be an easy addition. Seems a 2nd battery/isolator would be needed for extended play with the engine off.

Deaden my doors & seal them off or build kick panel pods for the drivers?

Ideas for sub enclosure as far as port & sub direction? Single cab but there is a good bit of room behind the seats. I'll add measurements tomorrow.

Am I missing anything?

JL Audio HD 900/5 (bridged feeding ID's 200w per side & 500w to the SA8 v2)

stock 136A alternator

Interstate battery (appx. 950CCA)

Should I upgrade my battery or add a second battery? My truck already has a spare battery tray on the passenger side (factory location for diesel models) so it would be an easy addition. Seems a 2nd battery/isolator would be needed for extended play with the engine off.

Might want to swap the Interstate for a better, more capable AGM, but for a daily driver at

If you know that you're going to be playing extended time with engine off, then a second battery will likely be needed, tho...

40sq ft Alpha Mat

25sq ft closed cell foam

Deaden my doors & seal them off or build kick panel pods for the drivers?

With the components you listed, I would prolly just do the doors and forget the kicks.

I know that my quad cab required around 85sqft for a proper job, so your numbers may be a bit low... but, then again, you may not be doing coverage of floors, roof, and door panels the way I did
SPL, SQL, or SQ as your main goal?

SPL, SQL, or SQ as your main goal?
SQ... just running a single 8 off 500w, although I'm still expecting a good amount of output, especially for what it is. With 400w & a set of ID CXS comps I'm hoping for some very good midbass, midrange, & highs.

As far as battery, I was thinking add a second because I do like to listen with the vehicle off.... a lot. If I add a deep cycle agm opposite the regular battery I assume there is a way to wire them so that the Interstate is used with the vehicle running & it switches to the agm with the engine off?

For my electtical I went overkill...only running around 1kw, but I used 1/0 knu ofc... & instead of adding a "big 3" I just replaced ALL of the factory wiring. All the power & ground...even the runs to the starter, fusebox, & even the ground straps. It's beefed up. Also, the factory 136A alt should be fine for my small setup.

40sq of deadener is for the doors, headliner, pillars, & rear wall. The floor has already been heavily deadened. I'm also usimg closed cell foam on the door panels & interior panels to keep them from rattling.

& I just wanted confirmation on placement of the components. I know kicks are popular for imaging & sq, but from what I read doors are better for my IDs due to needing a lot of space to reproduce midbass.

Sounds like a second battery isn't necessary. You should be fine with your wiring upgrade if you're only running 900W. That HD is a tiny amp, too. Will do well for a single cab.

I was talking to an Earthquake rep when I visited Sonic and mentioned how I'd be better off with a Kinetic rather than a deep cycle for high current application. Either way, should be unneccessary. Worst case you can just jog the engine every 20-30 min.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for deadening? Depends on how aggressive into SQ you're looking at going. Putting kicks in rather than using the stock locations will make time correction a little easier. Sounds like you have the space for it, so this might be a good way to go. Otherwise, the IDs should provide some great sound with properly deadened doors.

Can't help on the enclosure advice, though. Still a new territory for me. I'd ask pro-rabbit for his recommendation. I've heard that SAs do pretty well sealed, but Sundown designed that sub to be ported. Maybe a transmission line?

Sounds like a second battery isn't necessary. You should be fine with your wiring upgrade if you're only running 900W. That HD is a tiny amp, too. Will do well for a single cab.
I was talking to an Earthquake rep when I visited Sonic and mentioned how I'd be better off with a Kinetic rather than a deep cycle for high current application. Either way, should be unneccessary. Worst case you can just jog the engine every 20-30 min.
Yeah, the amp is tiny. I actually may send it back though & get the XD 600.1 & 400.4.... little extra power for the SA8 v2 & still can conceal them nicely.

I'm almost 100% sure I won't need a 2nd battery in general, but I do a lot of listening with my engine off & I'd assume do it right & add a deep cycle for that sole purpose over wearing out my regular battery. With a factory 2nd battery tray it would be very simple. And considering I got all my gear new at around 30% of the msrp I don't mind splurging on a battery.

The problem you can run into if you have 2 different batteries is that one could actually act as too much of a load on the other and completely discharge. You're better off either replacing the battery you currently have or forgoing this upgrade altogether.

As for deadening? Depends on how aggressive into SQ you're looking at going. Putting kicks in rather than using the stock locations will make time correction a little easier. Sounds like you have the space for it, so this might be a good way to go. Otherwise, the IDs should provide some great sound with properly deadened doors.
Can't help on the enclosure advice, though. Still a new territory for me. I'd ask pro-rabbit for his recommendation. I've heard that SAs do pretty well sealed, but Sundown designed that sub to be ported. Maybe a transmission line?
I'm not running active. From what I've researched on the CXS mids they seem to like sealed doors better anyway. Consensus seems to be that pods dont allow enough air space for midbass

My truck has a huge storage space behind the seats for a single cab. Plan on building a ported box that sits in the rear plastic storage tray, then fiberglass it in as a mold & carpet the whole piece for a clean stock finish.

The problem you can run into if you have 2 different batteries is that one could actually act as too much of a load on the other and completely discharge. You're better off either replacing the battery you currently have or forgoing this upgrade altogether.
Isnt there a way to isolate them? So that one is used with the vehicle on & the other with it off?

For extended play with the vehicle off just how big of a battery will I need if I go with just one

Beyond my level of knowledge, I'm afraid. I'm sure there is a way, but if you ask me, I'd tell you to have some sort of manual toggle lol.

The rule of thumb for the Kinetics is looking at the total load of your sound system. Sounds like a HC1400 would suit you just fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.