More efficient subs=more spl?

budgetkiller
10+ year member

Chicago
Well, I'm not sure if this belongs in wiring instead, but here's my question. I have a fried looking to go louder and asked me if upgrading his 12s would get him more power. We're only talking the subs, same box same everything. The box is a higher end prefab btw. I told him I believe that depends on the efficiency of the subs. He's looking at the Pioneer ts-w3002d4 vs jackhammer jh5512-04 he has now. The pioneers I read have 90db efficiency while the jackhammers have something like 86.5 DB. So theoretically the pioneers would be a little louder correct? Also, how much louder? Thanks guys!

Doubt you would hear a difference, especially with a prefab. And saying high end pre fab doesn't really mean anything, a pre fab box is still a pre fab box.

He would notice a bigger difference if he changed to a custom box instead of going from one set of cheap subs to another set of cheap subs.

What is his amp? The pioneers are dual 4 ohm and the mtx's are single 4 ohm, so he would be able to achieve a lower ohm load with the pioneers.

Ahhhh I see. Yeah, I know a pre-fab is a pre-fab. I just said "high end" because its got some fancy plate on it so it's better than a wal-mart prefab. I run custom myself. The issue is, he's basically a customer I did a couple installs for. I don't want to tell him to ditch all this stuff and buy brands he's never heard of because I'm saying they're better, I'm just trying to answer his questions and give limited personal input. Great info though. Ill see if I can forward it to him.

This has actually come up in many threads before and I believe Jacob from Sundown has answered it a few times. Basically sensitivity is measured at 1000hz, which the sub will never be playing therefor is a pretty useless spec when it comes to subs. I cant remember off hand which factors would determine a louder sub, but i would guess motor strength and moving mass would have more to do with it.

getting the most out of your subs is dependant on your box efficency, power effiecency, cars acustic propperties. out of those subs, I would get the pioneer. otherwise i would buy something completely different. ask around and see who is running what.

play your **** for him, that should sell him on a custom box and non mainstream stuff.

Of course some people still won't listen. Got a kid that's heard my HDC4 18 a few times, yet he still wants a 13w7 in a prefab so he can be louder...

Well, I'm not sure if this belongs in wiring instead, but here's my question. I have a fried looking to go louder and asked me if upgrading his 12s would get him more power. We're only talking the subs, same box same everything. The box is a higher end prefab btw. I told him I believe that depends on the efficiency of the subs. He's looking at the Pioneer ts-w3002d4 vs jackhammer jh5512-04 he has now. The pioneers I read have 90db efficiency while the jackhammers have something like 86.5 DB. So theoretically the pioneers would be a little louder correct? Also, how much louder? Thanks guys!
lol..sensitivity is useless these days...what your friend should be concerned about the important issues like the Poineer is a 4 ohm DVC sub and the MTX is a 4 ohm SVC sub...the MTX requires 2 cubic foot MINIMUM ported per, the Pioneer requires 1.6 cubic foot MAXIMUM ported per.

looks to me like u got far more important things to consider than a sensitivity rating.

The pioneers I read have 90db efficiency while the jackhammers have something like 86.5 DB. So theoretically the pioneers would be a little louder correct? Also, how much louder? Thanks guys!
Like some of the guys have said, there's more to it then just the specification db@1W@1m which is ideal.

A 3db change is just audible by human hearing so yes the 90db would be just slightly louder than the 86.5db speaker with 1watt input. With everything being equal the difference is that the 86.5db unit would need 2 watts to get it to just under 90db. And it gets more fun from there because the power requirement keeps doubling for each 3db increase until you reach it's maximum heat/power dissipation capacity which will be the max. input power spec.

The 86.5db unit will need 128 watts to reach 107db. The 90db unit only needs 64 watts to be at 107db. So assuming for instance they can both take 500 watts max. the 90db unit theoretically could produce 116db whereas the 86.5db unit could only produce 113db. Not super important unless you are only concerned about maximum spl's.

This is not really the most important factor when compared to box design, tuning and driver quality/durability when you want HQ sound and loudness.

Eh, theirs much more to it than that. The enclosure will make a huge impact on how itll sound. But id pick the pioneer out of those two subs. You can find much better subs around the price range of those subs though.
Well, I either pissed him off or I got him to start thinking twice. You said there are better subs for the money out there? Can you list a few examples and if you really want what makes them better? I'm not doubting there is, I learned that lesson a long time ago when I looked into the sa12 and said holy cow, and to think I used to want a mtx ts55 square. Lol. For real though, I don't want to feel like a **** when he asks for something better and I can't answer. You don't have to reply, but it sounds like you might know a few.

Well, I either pissed him off or I got him to start thinking twice. You said there are better subs for the money out there? Can you list a few examples and if you really want what makes them better? I'm not doubting there is, I learned that lesson a long time ago when I looked into the sa12 and said holy cow, and to think I used to want a mtx ts55 square. Lol. For real though, I don't want to feel like a **** when he asks for something better and I can't answer. You don't have to reply, but it sounds like you might know a few.
Sure, I can name a few..

Obsidian 12"

Audioque sdc2.5 12"

Sundown sa-12

Dc lvl 4 12"

SSA GCON 12"

Sure, I can name a few..
Obsidian 12"

Audioque sdc2.5 12"

Sundown sa-12

Dc lvl 4 12"

SSA GCON 12"
Perfect! I'll look into those for him. I still can't believe that 138 dollar pioneers are 1000wrms though. That doesn't sound like a bad deal for spl

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.