6.5" component speakers for '05 Sierra

Participant count
  • Participant list

shackles
10+ year member

Any advice on a decent set of speakers for the front doors of my Sierra. I'm not looking for super high end stuff and I'm running it from the HU at 20WRMS max so I assume they'll need to be in the 90db-93db efficiency range to get some volume out of them.

The stock GM ones sound crappy/lacking and out of place with the sub & amp I have. There just not clear or spacious sounding regardless of the EQ stting on the HU.

BTW the HU is a JVC-800BT.

Thanks.

The stock GM ones sound crappy/lacking and out of place with the sub & amp I have. There just not clear or spacious sounding regardless of the EQ stting
BTW the HU is a JVC-800BT.

Thanks.
you will need to use, at least, a small highs amp if you want any speakers to keep up

image dynamics ctx's
you will need to use, at least, a small highs amp if you want any speakers to keep up
These

The reason you are hearing what you are hearing now is due to lack of level matching between the door speakers in relation to the subs. Adding an amp not only allows u to extract the best performance from your $180 speaker investment but it also allows u to level match your system to your preferences.

Those Image Dynamics CTX speakers are the best I've heard in their price range btw.

If you want to run components, the ideal set up would be a 4 ch bridgeable amp to drive the fronts, bridge the rear channels and drive a single 4 coil sub. The only components that I recommend based on my own experience to be used without an amp and just off the HU is Hertz DSK series, 93 db spl, nice tight energetic mid/bass, add some sound deadening and that will increase your mid bass and volume significantly. Those can only be purchased from an authorized Hertz dealer and you can get them for way under $150 if the dealer is willing to negotiate.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I'm aware that a 4ch amp would be the best route to go and I will probably do that when funds are available.

But in the mean time I still would like better speakers until I do that. The factory's didn't sound very good with the factory GM HU when there wasn't a subwoofer in the back, and they don't sound any better with the new HU. It's not that they're not loud enough but rather they have a un-precise, slightly garbled kind of sound to them with most music types. I doubt the factory HU even had 20WRMS.

Maybe it's because they are trying to reproduce frequencies lower than they can comfortably handle. I was considering putting some low filter caps in-line with them to remove anything lower than 150HZ, but I thought that there's probably just better speakers around.

BTW the factory set-up on these trucks is components with a 6.5" and a tweeter in the front doors.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes I'm aware that a 4ch amp would be the best route to go and I will probably do that when funds are available.

But in the mean time I still would like better speakers until I do that. The factory's didn't sound very good with the factory GM HU when there wasn't a subwoofer in the back, and they don't sound any better with the new HU. It's not that they're not loud enough but rather they have a un-precise, slightly garbled kind of sound to them with most music types. I doubt the factory HU even had 20WRMS.

Maybe it's because they are trying to reproduce frequencies lower than they can comfortably handle. I was considering putting some low filter caps in-line with them to remove anything lower than 150HZ, but I thought that there's probably just better speakers around.

BTW the factory set-up on these trucks is components with a 6.5" and a tweeter in the front doors.
You can probably just swap the factory tweeters, I am not sure if the factory tweeters are even noticeable, maybe that is the problem. You can do a test by disconnecting one or both and see if it makes a big difference, if it does not, that means you need better highs and that will make the rears blend better and the bass sound better, once you hear better highs. You can can get a pair of these http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-1021t-Textile-Dome-Tweeter/dp/B000MQT6YS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348785318&sr=8-3&keywords=infinity+tweeters for $40.0 shipped they are 2 ohms and they will draw more power from the factory HU. This upgrade works 90% of the time in factory systems since the factory tweeters are trash or make no significant difference with very low spl sensitivity maybe under 87 db. With the new ones at 93 db everything will be much louder and cleaner. That would be the cheapest upgrade, unless you want to get the Hertz DSK165 I mentioned.

Before I start sinking money into the 4 ch amp plus speakers I was thinking of first upgrading the speakers.

The Hertz stuff sounds like good equipment but here in Canada there are no dealers to make that easy.

I was considering a set of these JL's for the first step and if I decide to move up with amps, etc. I'll just put them in another vehicle.

Any opinions on these to replace the factory's? I think I can pick them up locally for about $100.

Untitled6.jpg

I would not know what to tell you about the JL, it's a good deal but you will need power. Adding an amp to a factory HU can get complicated, you will need a loc unless the HU has RCA connectors.

There should be many dealers in Canada*Elettromedia USA - U.S. Distributor of Elettromedia Italy - Where the finest in car audio resides

If not amazon although this is the old model with separate crossovers It makes the installation easier,hertz does not allow online sales or honors warranties from on line vendors but amazon will have their own hassle free warranty replacement if needed*Amazon.com: DSK 165 HERTZ 6.5" 2-WAY 160W COMPONENT CAR SPEAKER SYSTEM MIDS TWEETERS CROSSOVERS: Car Electronics

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.