puka_bum

Need 3 amps for active crossover? Will my 5-Ch work?

I have the ASA 1100.5x, and I was looking at going active crossover in my vette. Do I need new amps, or will my 5 channel work? I hope to only run a 6.5" and 1" tweet in each door(2 doors, if you did not get that part). I already have a sub and pioneer cd player.

Do I need a MS-8?

Sooooo, I could run ch. 3&4 to the 6.5's. for front use? Would that make the fronts sound like the rears?

You will need a minimum of a 2-way electronic crossover, that preferably can be set in the 2.5khz-5khz range. You would run the front output from the head unit to the crossover. Then the high output from the crossover to channels 1&2 on the amp, with your tweeters on channels 1&2. You would run the low output from the crossover to channels 3&4, with the mids on channels 3&4. The mids wont be getting a "rear" signal the will be getting a filtered "front" signal, not that it really matters. You will also need to use your amps high pass on channels 3&4, and this is all assuming you have a sub output from the head unit that you can run to channel 5.

You will need a minimum of a 2-way electronic crossover, that preferably can be set in the 2.5khz-5khz range. You would run the front output from the head unit to the crossover. Then the high output from the crossover to channels 1&2 on the amp, with your tweeters on channels 1&2. You would run the low output from the crossover to channels 3&4, with the mids on channels 3&4. The mids wont be getting a "rear" signal the will be getting a filtered "front" signal, not that it really matters. You will also need to use your amps high pass on channels 3&4, and this is all assuming you have a sub output from the head unit that you can run to channel 5.

not trying to thread jack but from my understnding the orion 8004 can be ran active? Like my tweets on ch 1&2 and mids on 3&4 correct?

not trying to thread jack but from my understnding the orion 8004 can be ran active? Like my tweets on ch 1&2 and mids on 3&4 correct?

The crossovers on that Orion can be set for up to 3Khz, so yes it is possible. Up to 5khz would be better but it's definitely possible.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jsampsell
      Item(s) for Sale: One barely used JBL MS-8

Item(s) Description/Condition: I have to list this item as used because I did install it and play with it. It was installed for a total of four weeks but only run for two of them because I decided to go back to my original setup after a week and then after reading more about the unit decided to try it one more time.

Price: $500 via PayPal (includes shipping - see below)

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information: Price includes regular ground FedEx shipping to anywhere in mainland US. Shipping to Canada will be considered. Expedited options at request and expense of buyer. I will only use UPS at the expense of the buyer.

Item Pictures:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26524874[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26524872[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26524873[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]26524871[/ATTACH]

(List pictures in this section, 1st picture should be your username/date if you have less than 10 positive feedbacks with the i-Trader system or less than 10 references that you have sold to in the past. (These must be listed in your signature, or a link provided to a feedback thread listing these references)).
    • By Emvaz
      Hey guys, just a quick question here. I plan on switching my setup to active crossover soon and I was wondering if I necessarily needed to buy an outboard DSP like an MS-8 to handle the crossover and Eq, or if could just take out my passive crossovers, and then run my tweets and mids off of 2 separate amps with built in digital crossovers and EQs or run the limited EQ from my headunit instead.

It seems like many high end amps nowadays have these things built in to them. I know technically an active system is when the crossover is before the amp, but is it basically the same thing if you just have a good enough amp? I just don't want to spend an unnecessary $500 on a DSP and double up on things I already end up having.

Thanks
    • By nismos14
      Item(s) for Sale:
      JBL MS-8 BNIB

Item(s) Description/Condition:

BNIB

Price:

$475 shipped

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information:

included[ATTACH=CONFIG]26540123[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26540124[/ATTACH]

Item Pictures:
      (List pictures in this section, 1st picture should be your username/date if you have less than 10 positive feedbacks with the i-Trader system or less than 10 references that you have sold to in the past. (These must be listed in your signature, or a link provided to a feedback thread listing these references)).
    • By a404freedom
      I have a 2013 VW CC with 2 speakers in the door and a tweeter for the front stage and a woofer and tweeter for the rear. I'm planning on going 3-way in the front and 2-way in the rear, but I'm unsure as to what I should do for the 3-way. SUGGESTIONS SUGGESTIONS SUGGESTIONS. Oh yea, and budget around 3-400 for the 3-way.

Secondly, could I purchase a 2-way set, add a woofer and then just go get a 3-way crossover??? If that's the case, are there advantages to doing this? I see people purchasing speakers meant for your livingroom and putting them in their cars.