Is it worth it?

tpastor
10+ year member

I have 2 12 inch sony xplods currently, and i was wondering if it would be worth an upgrade to an 18 inch sub. (JL Audio, 18" dual 6 ohm dvc sub woofers) So, would the upgrade be worth it. I have them placed on hold at horizon audio for 300 dollars. Also, would it be a good sub for my amp that im getting next week? (Renegade REN850S 850W 1 Channel Monoblock Rockford). Please, i really need some feed back.

much better subs for the price out there, you pay for the name with JL, also i cant find a single link for that sub anywhere except for one that sold on ebay used for $26. do some research, sundown audio SSA audio FI audio, DC audio..

I have 2 12 inch sony xplods currently, and i was wondering if it would be worth an upgrade to an 18 inch sub. (JL Audio, 18" dual 6 ohm dvc sub woofers) So, would the upgrade be worth it. I have them placed on hold at horizon audio for 300 dollars. Also, would it be a good sub for my amp that im getting next week? (Renegade REN850S 850W 1 Channel Monoblock Rockford). Please, i really need some feed back.
The Renegade is a class A/B rated for 450w x 1 @ 2ohms, 250 x1 @ 4ohms @14.4v. The 18w6's wired parallel will be down below 2 ohms. they will need a huge box..and on very limited power. I would say not worth it, the amp is not something I would recommend to anyone. I would suggest a Hifonics BRZ 1200 on a couple of Sundown E-15 D4's for some real good bass on the cheap.

Lived in canton for many years... don't bother with Horizon Audio...IMO S.Ackerman(owner) is an *******... buy it all on-line at 1/3 of the price...

my .02

Lived in canton for many years... don't bother with Horizon Audio...IMO S.Ackerman(owner) is an *******... buy it all on-line at 1/3 of the price...
my .02
This would probably be the last thing i bought from them? do you think it's a good sub?? What sub(s) would you recomend from there?

That 18 inch JL W6 actually sounds pretty good but the $300 price is a wee bit steep. Is it brand new? I would say $220 is decent for a brand new one.
yeah, im hoping they will buy my old subs and box and that would help alot. It comes with the box. I went back there today, and measured it. Here are the measurements:

L:22.2 inches

W:10 3/4 inch

H19.2 inches.

$ it's $300 for the sub (brand new) and with the box already made. If this is a little steep , what would your recommendations be?

Is the box sealed or ported? Is it built nice with carpets and all that? If so then $220~$250 is a decent deal, not everyone have access to tools needed to build a box.
I can take a picture. I dont think its ported.

I doubt it's brand new unless its the one that was built last year by Credence.

I sold my 2 18w6's with maybe an hours playing time in a spec sealed box this last spring for 380 iirc. Bought the subs new and built the box, I ended up breaking even (Ok, I made a little) after trying to sell them for 1-2 months.

If it's the one Credence remade they were 100 new and eventually got to 150 before they sold out. At 150 it was a good deal, but at 100 it was a steal.

If it doesn't have a mag sticker or mag cover its likely the one Credence remade.

I doubt it's brand new unless its the one that was built last year by Credence.

I sold my 2 18w6's with maybe an hours playing time in a spec sealed box this last spring for 380 iirc. Bought the subs new and built the box, I ended up breaking even (Ok, I made a little) after trying to sell them for 1-2 months.

If it's the one Credence remade they were 100 new and eventually got to 150 before they sold out. At 150 it was a good deal, but at 100 it was a steal.

If it doesn't have a mag sticker or mag cover its likely the one Credence remade.

Maybe's it old new stock but yeah, check to make sure. I don't think there are any performance differences though.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Also, will the 18" sub be underpowered? Or not hit hard at all? My amp will do 450 watt at 2 ohms and 225 at 4 ohms. And the jl is 6 ohms at 400 rms.(thats what i found online) i would love some feedback on that. Should i get the 18 or just stick to two ported 12" subs?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.