Give me your critique.

Participant count
  • Participants list

Full Tilt
10+ year member

Bonafide MAFer
Iowa
I designed a new one..scroll down to check it out!

Positive construction is great. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif (For an SA-15, aiming for 3.5 @ 35 hz)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now, there are a few things I need to clear up -

1) The height dimension excludes the top wall of the enclosure. So the total height will be 17".

2) The outer dimensions of the box are 17 x 17 x 29. That means the inner dimensions are 15.5 x 15.5 x 27.5, giving me an internal volume of ~3.8 cu. ft. Then, as displacement of the sub and port are subtracted, it'll leave me in the ballpark of 3.5 cubic feet.

3) I used Products Menu to find my port length, it's supposed to be around 35 hz with a 6" aeroport. Is this anywhere close? (Also, I know I don't have much room between my port and my rear wall, as shown in my second picture. Is this going to be a major problem?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a designer but I have made a few boxes and I'm pretty sure you want the ports distance equal too or greater then it's opening from the back wall, you may have to use a 90% elbow in there to achieve the tuning you want.

I'm not a designer but I have made a few boxes and I'm pretty sure you want the ports distance equal too or greater then it's opening from the back wall, you may have to use a 90% elbow in there to achieve the tuning you want.
I heard it was you wanted the end of the port at least equal to the ports diameter (which is certainly not the case here, I'm aware). How would I elbow an aeroport? And how would that affect the tuning/sound?

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

go with a slot port. or fire the port to the side.
Which side?

port should be diameters distance away from back wall as said above, also no bracing?
I've run multiple boxes, none of them ever had bracing, seemed to be fine. Then again, they were slot port boxes. I guess it never really came to mind, but I'm sure this isn't my final design. I'll add bracing when I redo the design for my port.

I heard it was you wanted the end of the port at least equal to the ports diameter (which is certainly not the case here, I'm aware). How would I elbow an aeroport? And how would that affect the tuning/sound? 

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Which side?
experiment and see which one will get you louder.

I've always just built slotted ports there easy to get everything you want built right into the enclosure, I have only done one aero type port and it was to the passenger side as coming out the front wasn't an option but to add an elbow I don't know how you would add that in hvac work a 90% turn represents a 10' straight piece worth of pressure drop I don't know if things like that factor in here or not.

I've always just built slotted ports there easy to get everything you want built right into the enclosure, I have only done one aero type port and it was to the passenger side as coming out the front wasn't an option but to add an elbow I don't know how you would add that in hvac work a 90% turn represents a 10' straight piece worth of pressure drop I don't know if things like that factor in here or not.
I do like slot ported boxes, but unfortunately I really just don't have the room to work with one. I'll do a new design to the side.

New Design!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I realize it's pretty close to the wall, but I really couldn't move it over much further because of the subwoofer. Better/worse than the first one?

EDIT: The 7 1/2 in. is for the SA-15s depth.

Pretty much what everyone else has said about the port.
The other issue if you port out the side is loading/unloading may become an issue.
How's the new one look? And what do you mean by loading/unloading?

How's the new one look? And what do you mean by loading/unloading?
unloading is when the woofer loses pressure on the rear wave. it basically starts to move free air. from my understanding anyways. also I would swap to a single 12 and run it in the correct box..

unloading is when the woofer loses pressure on the rear wave. it basically starts to move free air. from my understanding anyways. also I would swap to a single 12 and run it in the correct box..
But..but..I finally got my SA-15.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

And wouldn't I lose quite a bit of output? I do not want that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Full Tilt

10+ year member
Bonafide MAFer
Full Tilt
Iowa
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date