Strange issue with my JL Audio 13w7.

Participant count
  • Participant list

asr10 user
10+ year member

*This is my 13w7 connected in my home theater setup*

Finally connected my 13w7 that has been sitting in my garage for probably 6-8 years. It's being powered by an ep2500 and sounds great. Only problem is at certain frequencies (30-35 hz I think) it sounds like a scratchy vibration on top of the bass.

Is voice coil rub possible only at certain frequencies? At other frequencies it sounds fine and is in my chest. Even with the vibration sound there is plenty of bass under it that still sounds strong and full.

When I had it in my car, I never noticed this because it was in my trunk and the sound is faint. But now it bugs me because I can hear it in my corner. I think as a band aid I can hide the box more so I can't hear the vibration, but hear plenty of bass.

Any ideas?

Its in a sealed box that has been sitting for years. In those years it was rained on and all types of stuff. It could be the box, but when I press down on the sub itself certain spots of the woofer cause the sound to go away and certain spots make it louder.

Its in a sealed box that has been sitting for years. In those years it was rained on and all types of stuff. It could be the box, but when I press down on the sub itself certain spots of the woofer cause the sound to go away and certain spots make it louder.
You mean pressing down when it's playing? typically that means a misaligned coil but it needs to be checked further. Take the sub out and play it free-air, if noise goes away then perhaps it's something rattling in the box or around the trim ring.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.